Gustie of the Week: Rachel Trebesch

Amelia Dewberry-

This week’s Gustie of the Week is Junior Rachel Trebesch. Trebesch is a Biochemistry major with a chemistry emphasis. She has enjoyed the opportunity to focus on the analytical side of chemistry with classes like Quantitative Analysis and Instrumental Methods. “I also get to take some really difficult capstone courses including Molecular Biology and Proteins,” Trebesch said.

In the future, Trebesch shared she plans to “… pursue a Ph.D. in biochemistry most likely, with the end goal of becoming a research and development scientist in an industry.” Meaning that she will conduct research and studies to develop new technology and products.

Trebesch is a member of the Delta Phi Omega sorority and currently holds the Social Chair position. “I’m trying to coordinate different socials between sororities and fraternities for us just to get to know other people in Greek life better,” Trebesch explained. She has also held two other positions: Educational Chair, and History & Alumni Chair, which involved finding educational speakers and hosting an alumni brunch over Homecoming.

Additionally, Trebesch is a member of the Chemistry Club and the American Cancer Society. American Cancer Society puts on the Gusties After Dark and Pie-a-Gustie events. Trebesch said  “I’ll be helping with tabling for that, and we’ll be raising money” for the organization which funds cancer research. They also hold the annual Relay for Life event which is a fundraiser walk for cancer.

In her free time, Trebesch likes to crochet, embroider, and occasionally run. She has crocheted plushies including mini stuffed turtles. Trebesch has also made clothing articles but said “Those can take a while and measurements and adjusting for either myself or the person is difficult… Otherwise, I like just hanging out with friends. We’re watching The Bachelor right now which is really fun,” she added.

One of Trebesch’s favorite things about Gustavus is the community aspect. “I feel very close not only to my friends but also my peers within my major,” Trebesch said. She has found that it’s been easy to connect with different people around campus.

“I chose Gustavus because I had a really good touring experience. I saw myself in my tour guide,” Trebesch said. She heard good things about the Chemistry and Biochemistry departments, and it was close to home, so Gustavus was the perfect fit.

“Something that I admire about Rachel is that she always puts so much effort into everything she does,” Junior Mikalya Witte said. Witte has known Trebesch since they were in middle school as they are from the same town. The two have been roommates since their first year.

Witte is impressed by Trebesch’s work ethic, saying “She works so hard at everything she does; I have never met someone so passionate!” She added how “Rachel is always there if I need to talk and I am blessed to call her my roommate and friend. I know that she is going to accomplish great things in her life!” Witte said.