La Quatuor International de Saxophones come to Gustavus

Colleen Coleman-

On February 20th at 7:00 p.m., Le Quatuor International de Saxophones, an international contemporary saxophone quartet, will be performing a recital in Christ Chapel. As a part of their Minnesota tour during February, the performance will include original works for saxophone quartet and organ, quartet and piano, and just saxophone quartet; as well as new works by Minnesota composers, such as Caro Barnett and Carlton Macy. During this performance, they will be joined by pianist and organist Dr. Jacob Benda from the faculty of St. Thomas University Music Department, and Gustavus faculty members Miguel Sousa, Director of Fine Arts, and Adjunct Professor and Saxophone Instructor, John Engebretson.

The quartet was first formed in 2002 to perform at the World Saxophone Congress hosted in Minneapolis. The group works to represent different personalities, musical aesthetics, and cultural experiences that are shown throughout their enduring friendship. The group is composed of artists from different backgrounds and nationalities, with French member Jean-Pierre Baraglioli on soprano saxophone, Canadian member William Street on alto saxophone, Japanese member Keiji Munesada on tenor saxophone, and American member Richard Dirlam on baritone saxophone. Every year, the group meets around the world to perform together and explore music from composers of many cultures and backgrounds.

Engebretson arranged to include the concert at Gustavus as a part of the quartet’s February tour, having connections with the group. “Richard Dirlam, the baritone player, and I go back to shortly after I graduated from Gustavus. I took a quarter of music education classes at the University of Minnesota, where he was teaching saxophone, so I was his student for a few months,” Engebretson said. Engebretson says they have stayed in touch over the years, and “… when [Dirlam] emailed me about this quartet touring Minnesota and wanting to perform at Gustavus I jumped on the opportunity to host them.” Engebretson also has connections with William Street, the alto saxophone player. “I performed for him at a masterclass while I was a student at Northwestern University. He also performed at Gustavus during one of my first years as professor, when he toured with Jean-Marie Londeix, who was our teacher in France – I know he taught at least Richard and Bill,” Engebretson said.

As well as being a culturally rich musical experience, this performance also is featured in the colloquium series of the music department. Those with a declared music major will be able to attend the performance for one of their required 2 colloquium performances a semester. The colloquium music series is intended to broaden the scope of Gustavus students’ perception of music and hear about experiences and musical styles beyond St. Peter. “Colloquiums in the music department are really valuable ways for Gustavus students to learn more about some niche areas of music,” Saxophonist and Sophomore Music Education major Chloe Lee said. “I am particularly excited for the Le Quatuor International de Saxophone performance on February 20th not only because I play the saxophone, but because I hardly get any opportunities to see an ensemble like this play live,” Lee said.

The benefits of these performances go far beyond the music department as anyone can attend. The general public and any Gustavus student can attend, and gain the benefits of experiencing different cultures and types of music. “The intent is to provide a forum where students can encounter topics and performances that will expand their worldview and range of musical experiences,” Cantor of Christ Chapel and organizer of the colloquium series Dr. Chad Winterfeldt stated. “As a music education major, I really value these types of colloquiums because they introduce me to new types of music and to unique performance concepts,” Lee said.

Spend your Tuesday evening in Christ Chapel on February 20th at 7:00 p.m. listening to Le Quatuor International de Saxophones and their contemporary selection of saxophone quartet music, as joined by St. Thomas University professor Dr. Jacob Benda, and Gustavus faculty members Miguel Sousa and John Engebretson.