Normalize Christmas coming early

Sophia White-

Many people choose to believe that Christmas music should not be played until after Thanksgiving is over, but I disagree with that. Christmas music should be an acceptable form of music at any time of the year. Who would argue with some Michael Bublé or Mariah Carey playing on the radio? Not only that, but Christmas lights should be up throughout all the seasons to show joy and your festive spirit. I mean, just look at all the pretty lights on the trees, ornaments hanging to and fro, and the blues, golds, greens, and reds that are the source of all joy. Is that too much to conceptualize?

There is something about Christmas that gives me ceaseless joy. It can be an overwhelming time of year, but the idea of preparing for a grand celebration with family makes up for it. Even if it is not the correct time of year. It is just as fulfilling in July as it is in December for me. In part, because of all the nostalgia that stems from its roots.

Christmas movies like Home Alone, Elf, and Christmas Vacation give me vivid dreams of making peppermint coffee and Christmas trees. Nothing gives me sweeter joy than to see Will Ferrell eating maple syrup spaghetti. Maybe it’s the image of a winter wonderland where I am playing in the snow and sledding down the most glorious powdered peaks. The last time I did that, I ended up head-first in a pile of snow in a handstand with my sister. Yet, it is worth any injury for me, because of all the laughing and smiles.

I am fully aware that loving a holiday this much is not entirely reasonable to some, but it is something I think about when times are rough. Especially as a college student during the roughest time of the semester. I am sure that is something that everyone can relate to at the least – that desperation for the holidays and to receive a break. A break from being assigned a sixth essay in this one week.

I’ve started making a whole section in my notebooks dedicated to lists of things I need to get done this day, and this day, and the weekend. It feels debilitating like I’m on the verge of burnout. It is that last push till the end, and I am putting all my physical and mental capabilities into gear. But, when I think about Christmas and how close it is… I feel better.

My mental illness dissipates with the smell of hot cocoa. And I think about all the gifts I received over my entire life and what each meant to me. Even the weird ones, like my Nicholas Cage pillow or my tortilla blanket. Possibly, it is due to the fact that Christmas (similar to Thanksgiving) is a season of thanks. I feel the most gratitude when I get the quality time with my loved ones that I’ve been searching for during the past few months of school. Time to sit down, whether in quiet or chaos, I’d take either at this point. Some time for my mind to remain still and not race to the next thing.

I have had plenty of questionable, unpleasant Christmas’ on my time on this Earth and it seems to cause more complex emotions for me as I get older. That aspect is difficult because it is miserable to deal with extended family that argue with one another about politics, ethics, religion, or overall life in general when you finally get to that age where you understand what is happening around you and how to articulate your own beliefs. No one wants to debate with Grandpa during Christmas about human rights.

Even with all these difficult times and conversations, I still believe in the core of what this time means with families: being grateful for genuine loving connections with your family or friends. I can still see those snippets of time when I feel that child-like wonder I had for Christmas when I was a kid, and, usually, that can happen at any moment when I spend a perfectly still moment with the people I love and notice how much I love them. It just reminds me of Christmas and how I’d feel that all throughout the season. Just how much I want to see them light up and smile when they receive a gift or a hug.

It’s something people need more often than during the one holiday in a year. I wonder what the world would be like if people pretended every day was Christmas or some holiday that they love. Would the world be better for it or would people be bored? I believe it would foster a feeling of love and gratefulness that might help us process our feelings as a society of workaholics because rest and gratitude are a recipe for happiness. It certainly helps to get gifts and pretty lights too.