Volleyball season ends in round 2

Teddy Kaste-

Gustavus Women’s volleyball team competed in the NCAA tournament this past week as they traveled to Oshkosh, Wisconsin to play in it. Had they won three games in Oshkosh, they would have moved on to the quarterfinals which take place Nov. 29th through Dec. 2nd in Claremont, CA. However, they were eliminated in the second round by the host school, UW-Oshkosh.

The Gusties won their first-round matchup against #12-ranked Calvin 3-0. Gustavus won the first set 25-22, the second 25-19, and the third 25-18 to defeat Calvin and earn the right to play #3 ranked UW-Oshkosh on their home court in the second round of the tournament.

UW-Oshkosh not only had the home-court advantage but also an astonishing 34-1 record on the year coming into the game. Their prowess was just too much for the Gusties as they were defeated 3-0. For the second year in a row, the Gustavus Women’s volleyball team exited the NCAA tournament in the round of 32. Despite the loss, the season would undoubtedly be considered a success, as Gustavus claimed the MIAC championship while going undefeated in the MIAC and won the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Senior Marlee Turn said of her favorite memories this season, “My favorite memories from this season are the MIAC championship game and our tournament in California. Both were so fun and had amazing competition. Going to California at the beginning of the season was also amazing because we got to explore a new area together and create so many wonderful memories.”

If you thought Turn was leaving, turn that frown upside down as she announced, “I am going to be taking a 9th semester, so I can return for my last volleyball season. I am very excited to play one more year with this amazing team!” Gustavus Volleyball had six seniors this past season, all of whom are eligible to play the 2024 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic canceling their 2020 season, so these women will be faced with a big decision.

Senior Kasie Tweet also announced, “I have actually decided that I am going to take a 5th year, so I will be back for another season next fall!” The Gusties have two commitments from seniors to come back for their fifth year and play the 2024 season and more commitments may be to follow.

For Fifth year Sydney Olson however, she has now played her final match for Gustavus volleyball. “Gustavus Volleyball has meant the world. While the program gave me temporary achievements on the court, Gustie VB has more importantly brought meaningful friendships and life lessons that will last me a lifetime. For that reason, I am forever grateful for this program and what it has given me!” Olson said of her experience.

Olson went on to describe the feeling of playing in her fifth year, “As the season and my career was coming to an end, I more than ever felt extremely grateful to experience the MIAC championship and NCAA tournament one last time. I prioritized taking in every moment I had left on the court with my team and gave it my very all one last time.” Olson represented the Gusties with honor and class and she will be missed at Gustavus.

Overall the Gusties finished 26-7 on the season with a perfect 11-0 record in MIAC play. The season started out in California at the UC-Santa Cruz Slug Fest. Here the Gusties were able to enjoy not only volleyball, but the state of California, and all it has to offer.

Sophomore Sydney Timm said of the trip “My favorite off-court memory was our pre-season trip where we traveled to California. I loved seeing the Redwoods with the team as well as the Santa Cruz boardwalk.”

Gustavus lost a few matches this year, but if it was an MIAC matchup the Gustavus Women were untouchable going 11-0 in MIAC play, which was capped off with the MIAC championship win against St. Olaf, which was an absolute thriller.

Turn said of the MIAC championship, “The MIAC championship is always the best because of how many fans come and support and the joy of winning the MIAC.” Marlee Turn has known nothing other than MIAC championships, as Gustavus has won the MIAC three years in a row and she will have a chance to make it four next year.

Although the MIAC championship was a great success and victory in itself, the grand prize for all NCAA sports is the NCAA national championship, which the Gustavus women had their sights set on. That dream was alive and well after the first round as they disposed of #12 ranked Calvin, an extremely formidable opponent 3-0.

The next round against Oshkosh was sadly a different story, but what the Gusties did accomplish was incredible this year, and with so many players returning next year has the potential to be even better.