Senior Spotlight: Heather Funai

This recurring segment will highlight a senior Gustavus athlete each week.

Q: Has the season met your expectations so far?

A: Yes. This season has been amazing. It’s better than what I imagined my final season being. My teammates are probably 97% of the reason why this year has been so amazing. I couldn’t have done it without them cheering me on and being supportive on and off deck.

Q: What is your best athletic memory? 

A: I have two memories that tie for first. One is swimming on a relay at a meet earlier this season. I am not a swimmer so doing this was a blast and having teammates cheering made it all the better  My other one is when I had national qualifying scores and when I broke the school records.

Q: Why would you recommend Gustavus?

A: From an athletic standpoint, TJ, my diving coach, has been nothing but understanding and supportive of me. He understood what it meant to be involved with so many things (orchestra, Greek life, Athletic Training, diving, and classes). Another big one is the team. The bond the swim team has is so strong I don’t think any other school could come close to what the swim team has together. This doesn’t just apply to the team, but also to the Gustavus community in general. The sense of community here is definitely one of a kind.