Softball goes 4-2 against D-II schools in Hawaii

For most Gusties, touring break consisted of sub­zero temperatures and many attempts to stay warm. This was most definitely not the case for the Gustavus softball team who spent ten days enjoying the Hawaiian sunshine while taking part in three double headers against Division II level competition. The team went 4­-2, facing each of the following teams: 2011 Division II national champions Hawaii Pacific University, Chaminade University, and Brigham Young University­Hawaii.

The team agreed that the experience at Hawaii Pacific University (HPU) was the highlight of the trip. Not only did the team play two games at HPU, but they also toured the unique campus.

“Softball­-wise, the best part for me was playing Hawaii Pacific. Those were our two losses, but they have a gorgeous facility and a strong tradition. I feel like we learned the most from those two games,” Head Coach Jeff Annis said.

Senior Captain Shelby Nosan explained that in the previous three spring trips, the competition had all been at the division III level.

“Facing D-II competition, we really played well as a team. I can honestly say that it’s probably the most fun that I’ve had with this team so far,” Nosan said.

Coming together through softball, the team spent time performing the Gustie Rouser on top of Diamond Head Mountain, visiting the historic Pearl Harbor memorial, heading to the North Shore, or just relaxing on the beach. For Senior Captain Carly Klass, the experience at Diamond Head Mountain was her favorite off­field activity.

“I love to hike, so the hike up Diamond Head and being able to see all of Waikiki Beach and all of the surrounding area was really cool,” Klass said.

Nosan explained that her favorite moment was seeing Pearl Harbor with her parents.

“The first day that I went to Pearl Harbor with the team, we were unable to go out to the USS Arizona memorial, but my parents had come with to Hawaii and I was able to go out and see the memorial with them the next day. It was just amazing. We met one of the veteran survivors of the ship and it was just a really cool experience,” Nosan said.

As a whole, the trip was seen as a huge success.

“It was great to get outsideand play. Now as we practice inside, we know what it feels like and we can simulate and learn from what we did in Hawaii as the season approaches,” Annis said.

“Softball-wise, the best part for me was playing Hawaii Pacific. Those were our two losses, but they have a gorgeous facility and a strong tradition. I feel like we learned the most from those two games.”Coach Jeff Annis

With this being the first time that the team as a whole has played together, the trip really went well.

“There was a lot of team chemistry on the field considering that we hadn’t fully practiced as a team before. Even in the games that we lost, we played well. Overall, I feel that it was a really good trip and we have a lot to build on,” Klass said.

The Gusties take the field next in the RCTC bubble­dome in Rochester later this month on February 28​.

-Jacob Woodrich