Delta Phi Omega hosts Breast Cancer 5k

The Breast Cancer 5k Fun Run was held on Sunday, Oct.  12,  by the Delta Phi Omega sorority. The purpose of this run was to raise awareness for breast cancer and contribute to breast cancer research.

As a sorority, the Deltas wanted to raise as much money as they can for donations towards breast cancer. The run started and ended at the Linnaeus Arboretum. This event was their first Breast Cancer 5k run.

The Deltas wanted to hold a new event that would be open to the public and the Gustavus community and encouraged everyone to participate.

They had over sixty participants and raised over $800 in proceeds in which they will be splitting between two research facilities. Senior Paige Miller is the co-president of Delta Phi Omega and was happy with the event.

“I was pleased with the turnout on such short notice. We had over sixty people and made $800. I would like to see the event grow even larger next year. I think we need more advertising early on in the semester to increase campus, especially student involvement,” Miller said.

“I wanted to run the event because it sounded really fun; and to run in honor of those who have passed or are struggling because of breast cancer.”—Aryn Eckstrom

Junior Breast Cancer Chair Casey Lindquist planned and organized the run. She explained her idea of the event through past experiences.

“I have ran in a handful of 5Ks with different organizations and it is a fun way to raise money for a great cause. I also did an internship this past January and helped plan a 5K for a non-profit. I knew that last spring the swimmers and Colleges Against Cancer did a 5K to remember Grace Goblirsch. They had a very successful event and I knew a lot of people would be interested in doing another 5k here on campus to support an organization,” Lindquist said.

In the past, Gustavus organizations have held successful runs. The Deltas thought having another race on campus would be a great idea since people have enjoyed participating in races in the past.

The cost for each participant for the Breast Cancer 5K Fun Run was $12 a person. All participants received a T-shirt for the run. Students, staff, friends, family, and faculty were all encouraged to join this run because the proceeds were going towards a great cause.

Sophomore Aryn Eckstrom, a member of the Delta Phi Omega sorority ran the Breast Cancer 5K run.

“I wanted to run the event because it sounded really fun; and to run in honor of those who have passed or are struggling because of breast cancer.  The atmosphere was really positive and fun. I would definitely participate again,” Eckstrom said.

The proceeds made from the Breast Cancer 5K run will be split between the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and an organization called Hope Chest, which is a Minnesota based organization.

-Pangchuu Vang