Women’s Hockey teams up with…

Αlpha Sigma Tau to support Sobczak family

As an excellent hockey goalie, dedicated student, involved Gustie, and good friend to many, Marah Sobczak exemplifies the traits of a young woman with a bright future ahead of her. This past August, her plans were abruptly interrupted by a severe car crash in which Sobczak and her sister were hit head-on, requiring numerous surgeries and time to recover from many broken bones and other injuries.

Throughout all of this, Sobczak has remained positive and continues to be in the thoughts and prayers of many, including her friends at school and hockey family.

“I have visited her in the hospital and at her home several times. Every time I have gone to visit she has made remarkable strides, and I can’t believe how amazing she is. I am excited to see her and how far she has come since the last time I saw her,” Junior Forward Melissa Doyle said.

During Marah’s 2011-2012 season, the Gustavus women’s hockey team placed an impressive 24-4-2 overall and 16-1-1 in the MIAC. The women went on to win the MIAC Regular Season title for the eighth consecutive year and the MIAC Playoff title for the ninth time in a row, finishing off the season with an appearance in the national semifinals for the third consecutive year.

Because Marah is a crucial component to the women’s hockey team’s success, this season will be one of adaptation and perseverance for all of the ladies on the 2012-2013 team.

“Marah was set to be the starter this year, and breaking in three first-years is difficult. Neither the first-years, the returners, nor the coaches know what to expect with new team members playing at the collegiate level,” Junior Katherine Jorgenson said.

Although this will most likely be a trying season, many of the players are eager to get on the ice and continue to win as a cohesive team.

“This has presented the new players, specifically the goalies, with a challenge to step up and fill the role that last year’s goalies left behind.  I firmly believe that [Marah’s] accident has given this year’s team extra motivation to play in honor of her,” Senior Meagan Wanecke said.

In order to show support for the Sobczak family, Jorgenson, with help from Alpha Sigma Tau and the hockey team, has put together a fundraiser in which they are selling “white-out” t-shirts for students to wear to the game against Bethel on November 9. The shirts are ten dollars and will be sold in the campus center during the week preceding the game as well as at the door. Proceeds will go towards paying for hospital bills as well as the extensive physical therapy that Marah will undergo.

“I feel really blessed to have a community at Gustavus that has been there to support my family and I since the accident and the white out event is just a prime example of how wonderful the Gustavus students are. I wouldn’t be where I am today if I didn’t have so many great friends and family by my side during my recovery process,” Marah Sobczak said.

Although the plans for the white-out game started as a small idea to do something for a Gustie who deserves support, it quickly grew into a large scale event with hundreds of students getting involved and purchasing shirts. The original goal of selling 250 shirts was surpassed almost immediately, which speaks to the amount of support Gusties have for their fellow classmates as well as the women’s hockey team.

“To see that the entire campus get behind a cause, to support an individual Gustie in a time of need, is a testament to how close knit our student body is. We are also demonstrating the sense of community and service that Gustavus instills in us,” Jorgenson said.

Despite the long road to recovery that Marah has ahead of her, her strides of success continue to inspire the women’s hockey team as well as her friends and supporter system she has here at school.

“I play defense, and knowing she was back there always helped me play better because I knew I had a great goaltender behind me to help me out when I needed it. She’s always had our backs— now we want to do the same for her,” Senior Kelsey Kennedy said.