The over-involved Gustie

Raquel Vaughn-

Gustavus Adolphus College, the place where “make your life count” takes on no truer meaning. What better place to get the true liberal arts experience? What better place to get involved? Many Gusties find their place on campus. Some find multiple. With the phrase “over-involved Gustie” being thrown around, I wanted to truly understand what all the fuss was about. Is getting involved truly worth it? Does my Google Calendar truly look as terrifying as all my friends say it does?

During my First-year on campus, I struggled getting involved. It wasn’t that it was hard to find involvement—there are student organizations, work studies, sports, and Greek chapters galore. My problem was rooted in taking that first step. The only problem is that once I took that first step, I couldn’t stop taking more. What was once a paralyzed standstill became a full-on sprint. A good example of a Gustie who, like me, wants to take advantage of every opportunity college offers is Senior Henry Noma, a long-time Gustie Greeter. When asking Noma what other involvements he’s participating (or has participated) in, he gave me a long list. This list includes but is definitely not limited to the Tri-Beta Biology Honors Society, Gustavus Chemistry Club, Gustavus Wind Symphony, Club Tennis, Peer MALTs, working in the Chemistry Department, and Tour Guide. I knew Noma to be well-rounded, skilled, and extroverted, and I knew I wanted to be those things too!

My first involvement was my work-study. Actually, let me rephrase that—my first involvement was my first work-study. Working for the Athletic Department’s sporting events has proven to be a fulfilling experience because it introduced me to basketball management. The Women’s Basketball team was glad to hear that they would be getting a manager with managing experience from high school, and I was just glad I could continue doing what I loved and get paid for it. You’ve probably seen me selling tickets for football, volleyball, or hockey games. Or perhaps you’ve noticed my expert water bottle-filling skills every time one of the Women’s Basketball players needed a refill mid-game. Not only did I have two work studies under my belt as a First-year student, I was on the path to declaring a Sports Management minor because of it.

Once sophomore year came around, I took an interest in the Women’s Action Coalition, also known as WAC. I went to their events and took part in their meetings, and then shortly after I was asked to be their Secretary on the executive board. And then, during that Spring Semester, I got nominated to be a part of the Campus Activities Board, famously known as CAB. I went from not knowing how to get involved to doing pretty much nothing else but that. And it didn’t end there. Now I’m a Peer MALT, an Opinion writer, and a double major with two minors. And nobody is surprised to hear that I’ve signed on for a fourth work-study on campus. My advisor has even commented on my email signature, joking about how long it is.

I heard “liberal arts experience” and took it to another level. And the thing is, so does the majority of Gustavus students. This is why it is such a phenomenon here on the hill—the over-involved Gustie. Junior Bryn Archambault enlightened me about her involvement as a student leader on campus: “Besides being a [Peer Assistant], I continue to work in the GustieWell as a Student Lead. I also work in the History Department. I also worked in the Bakery, and although I don’t anymore, I still want to shout it out because it was a blast!” Archambault said. Great experiences on campus continue to encourage Gustavus students to find more involvement!

As someone who is extremely involved on campus, I know that there are a lot of challenges. I’m not only juggling classes and a social life but I’m also juggling multiple jobs, student organizations, and other commitments. When asking Junior Alex Johnson, one of the CAB Co-Presidents, what he found challenging about being involved he mentioned prioritizing time for himself. “Sometimes I focus too much on my extracurricular commitments rather than taking some time to relax and unwind,” Johnson said. I find myself battling the same issue, as I’m sure most have. Senior Katie Lillemon, another Gustie Greeter, felt a similar way. She is also involved in Gustavus Choir, Chemistry Club, the Sunday Worship Community, and Student Senate; as well as working in the Chaplain’s Office, tutoring Biology and TA-ing in the lab, and participating in student research. “In my first years at Gustavus, I struggled with understanding how much I could take on and deciding which groups were most important to me. It was hard to determine where I should dedicate my time, especially when considering my classes,” Lillemon said. Keeping up the momentum and avoiding burnout can be just as challenging as finding a start to getting involved.

Being a busy bee on campus is not just being burnt out, as some would assume. It can be fulfilling! And most of the time the benefits outweigh the costs. “I have made so many connections with peers I would have never met otherwise through the PAs, and I am forever grateful for that!” Archambault said. With the Gustavus community being as tight-knit as it is, students realize quickly that getting involved in one thing means more interaction with peers, staff, and faculty. Sometimes the results of involvement match the reason. Take Noma, for instance, who became a Gustie Greeter to help first-year students find their place on campus. “I enjoy seeing others find their passion and reasons to keep showing up as I also found,” Noma said.

Being an “over-involved Gustie” is hard, as these students have exemplified, but there are benefits. My dad once told me that “a busy life is a fulfilling life,” and it wasn’t until I declared my Sports Management minor because of my extracurricular activities, that helped me realize just how right he may be.