Which NLE Choppa song is your major?

Raquel Vaughn-

As somebody who is on the Campus Activities Board, I’ve said it before and I guess I’ll say it again: “Every moment is a marketing moment.” NLE Choppa is coming to town on April 19th, 2024, and will be performing in the Don Roberts Ice Arena in the Lund Center at 8:00 p.m. If you haven’t gotten your tickets, you should totally do so as soon as possible! Gustavus students are only charged a small fee of $20, whereas everyone else has to pay $30 to have the time of their lives. To be prepared for the first big concert in nearly eight years, let’s take a look at some NLE Choppa songs.

You’ve most likely read my article about Olivia Rodrigo’s songs as majors and minors here at Gustavus. Whereas that one took an approach that was more or less “for the girls,” let’s do something similar with songs by NLE Choppa.

Let’s start with my favorite song: “Walk Em Down,” which features Roddy Rich. This song takes on a more menacing vibe, as it explains how an adversary of NLE is being chased down and…well, let’s just say that this person would not want to find out what happens if they are caught. In this song, NLE shows his most competitive and aggressive side. I only know of one major that has to stand on business as much as him during this song and that would be the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major.

NLE Choppa is well-known for keeping his opps on their toes through his music. He brings a similar energy to another one of his well-known songs, “Camelot.” This song is not only a warning to his adversaries, but also a flex on his dangerous lifestyle. If this song isn’t about the Biochem and Molecular Biology major then I have to give this one to the Chemistry majors. I don’t know anything about science (because I’m a literature and history girly) but I do know that I’ve heard too many horrendous things about the chemistry major. Consider the homework of one Chemistry major my own personal “Camelot.”

“Shotta Flow” is one of the first songs that gained popularity for NLE Choppa and, again, brings a similar vibe to the previously mentioned songs. In this song, he flexes what he has and warns anyone who has intentions of messing with him that he and his gang will pull up. If you haven’t gotten the pattern yet, then don’t worry because I’ll tell you. It’s obvious that NLE Choppa has no problem saying what’s on his mind and dropping warnings in nearly every song of his. This is probably what makes him so intimidating yet appealing—just like STEM majors. If “Shotta Flow” didn’t belong to the last two previously mentioned majors then it would have to belong to the Biology major.

“IT’S GETTING HOT” is perfect for the Health and Physical Education major for self-explanatory reasons. “WE SEE YOU” is a perfect match for the Dance major solely because it samples “Funkytown” by Lipps Inc. throughout the entire track. “CHAMPIONS” is about overcoming obstacles and becoming great—hence the title of the song—so I think that this would be an excellent pair for the Peace, Justice, and Conflict Studies major. Does that make sense? Maybe if you think about it long enough, it’ll sound just as reasonable for you as it did for me. And if not, then at the very least it’s just funny.

In one of his songs titled “Gamble With My Heart,” he talks about taking risks in relationships. I was going to go with either English Studies or Music as majors for this song because they are two programs that I feel delve deeper into the more “emotional” works (like, ahem, ballads). But, at the end of the day, I think this song could go to the Psychological Science major.

NLE Choppa collaborated with an artist known as Gambi to rap a French song called “Bonjour” and sometimes I wonder what major that song would be paired with. Because it’s definitely not French Studies. If you didn’t pick up on it, that was definitely sarcasm. However, I am aware of what the song is about but French majors should take that with a grain of salt.

“Yak Flow” is for all the Education majors. “Little Miss” is for the Communication Studies majors. “Triple A” is for the English Studies majors solely because the song offers a main character type of vibe. “HOME” is for the Environmental Studies majors. And “BREAK THE BANK” is for the Economics and Accounting majors. To be honest, I have no idea what the song is about but I just thought it would be funny if that was the song paired with those two minors. Dear Accounting and Economics majors, I apologize for nothing.

And if you’re wondering which major is paired with “SLUT ME OUT” then that would be the Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies major.

Get your tickets at gustavustickets.universitytickets.com!