Greek life shakes up campus with recruitment

Elliot Steeves & Willa Brown-

The Greek Life fraternity and sorority chapters at Gustavus Adolphus College have commenced their new recruitment cycle for the fall semester. This includes new membership for all three fraternities and all four sororities on campus.

Here at Gustavus, we have two local sororities (Theta Xi Gamma and Delta Phi Omega), two national sororities (Sigma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Sigma Tau), and three local fraternities: Epsilon Pi Alpha, Kappa Sigma Chi, and Tau Psi Omega.

When it comes to recruitment, there’s different processes between sororities and fraternities. The process for sororities involves four non-consecutive days dedicated to helping everyone find the chapter that is the best fit for them, with each day having discussions and opportunities to get to know one another better. Each day of recruitment is split up into different sessions that spur on further discussions. Recruits have 20 minutes per night to talk with each sorority chapter at Gustavus.

When asked what advice she has for any of those who are currently going through sorority recruitment, Junior and Theta Xi Gamma recruitment co-chair Erika Henrichs said “Be yourself. Every person who goes through the recruitment process will receive a bid from a chapter. Be true to who you are and just be your real, authentic self, because that is the best part about you!”

When talking about the recruitment process as a whole, Senior and Delta Phi Omega recruitment co-chair Elizabeth Holmes said “Each night has a different theme. Each of the four sororities has conversations with recruits about their realm of values… All of Greek Life is values based.”

Fraternities, meanwhile, have a slightly less time-extensive process, but one that is similarly evaluative.

“Fraternities will take everyone that registers all at once, and will give a formal recruiting event where the chapters present for fifteen minutes on what they are all about,” Junior and Kappa Sigma Chi Recruitment Chair Adam Nordquist said. “Fraternities still give bids to people. Someone will come on the radar for a fraternity, and they will be extended a bid to join. When I was recruited, I went to all of [Kappa Sigma Chi’s] events, including the Involvement fair. They decided I was the one for them, and I stuck with it.”

When asked about his personal experience about wanting to join a fraternity, Junior and Epsilon Pi Alpha’s recruitment chair Anders Colvet said “When I saw how [Greek Life] was different at Gustavus, I joined to meet people in it and found out what they do. It’s far more communal and laid back here, and it widened the groups that I am involved with.”

Each individual sorority and fraternity has their own philanthropy, which is a huge pull for some and their personal decision on which chapter to become a part of. Each chapter also has a philanthropy goal that they raise money towards throughout the year. “Everything we do goes back to [our personal] philanthropy, and in the case of Delta Phi Omega, [that is] breast cancer treatment at Hope Chest in Orono,” Holmes said.

Greek Life at Gustavus has proven to be an extremely communal experience for those involved, providing countless benefits and opportunities for leadership and community.

“We’re in the same sisterhood, while also from different walks of life,” Holmes said. “Greek life is an entire community, and we do educational and community work together.”

“Through Greek life, I have met some of my best friends, while also meeting so many new people who are supportive and empathetic. I think that the Greek life community is a very positive community to be a part of on campus. The Greek life community is full of a lot of very hardworking, driven individuals that strive to make Greek life, and the Gustavus campus, a better place,” Henrichs said.

Among these are events such as painting playgrounds, assisting with the St. Peter Wrestling Club, and this year, the Kiwanis Light Show in Mankato.

“I found my fit, and where I belong in the Gustavus community,” Holmes said. “I have built a lot of career development steps and resume options, and feel that I have learned a lot. There hasn’t been a semester where I haven’t had a leadership position of some kind.”

“I have had the typical experience: I’ve loved it,” Nordquist said. “Wherever you end up in Greek life will always be people who know you and support you and who you can fall back on. These are experiences that you won’t normally find anywhere else.”