Staying in shape at Gustavus

With summer coming to a close, fall about to begin and winter on the horizon, there are plenty of ways for Gusties to get and stay active on campus. With clubs, groups, intramural sports, and individual activities all ready to begin, Gusties are chomping at the bit to get active and into shape.

As the Lund Center continues to be renovated, students are looking forward to another year of fun and activities within its walls. With last year being the first school year that the new weight room and cardio area were open in the Lund expansion, Gusties are excited for what another year will hold.

Lund facilities and intramural sports, which will be starting up soon this fall, offer great opportunities for students to have fun with their friends and stay engaged. The range of intramurals that students can participate in is vast, with options for all abilities and seasons. Some of the most popular include volleyball, basketball and futsal.

Senior Zach Tlusty, can be found in Lund Center daily, whether in the weight room and cardio spaces or on the floor of Lund Forum participating in intramural sports where he is often the loudest and most enthusiastic out there.

My favorite part of Lund is the open windows. It makes it so easy to walk in and get the energy that is needed to get a good workout in. Lund keeps me active, and the upgrade has made it way more enjoyable to workout, especially with the plethora of machines,” said Tlusty.

Likewise, Senior Tovey Velin also enjoys the chance to utilize the spaces in Lund while playing intramural sports, in addition to using all of campus throughout the school year. “I stay in shape on campus by trying to do some form of physical activity a few times a week. For me it could be going on a walk in the Arb, doing crunches and push-ups in my room, playing an intramural game, or going to Lund to use some of the weight machines. I like mixing it up and not doing the same thing all the time,” said Velin.

For students not looking to play intramural sports but still looking for a place to work out and stay in shape, campus as a whole and the Lund Center have plenty of options.

For students not on varsity teams, club sports are another great way for Gusties to get and stay involved while being active. With sports ranging from Nordic skiing and hockey to Ultimate Frisbee and Lacrosse there are sports for students of all interests.

President of the Nordic Ski Club Senior Thomas McDermott, while looking forward to the snow falling for his skis, gets to enjoy his unique passion for skiing. Even without snow and ice covering campus, he still takes the time to maintain his conditioning for when winter rolls around.

Clubs are great for staying active because they provide opportunities to do what you enjoy while getting to know people who share your interests,” said McDermott.

Playing as both a forward and as a blue-liner on defense on the Men’s Club Hockey team, Senior Nolan Wetzel enjoys the opportunity to continue playing the sport he grew up loving.

I participate in club hockey because I enjoyed playing hockey all the way through high school  and club hockey is the perfect opportunity to continue playing hockey. I had a lot of fun last year playing with the club team and I would encourage anyone with any interest in potentially playing to reach out,” said Wetzel.

While staying active and involved on campus may seem like a daunting task, especially as a new student, Gusties find a way to balance it all. From classes and homework to music ensembles and clubs, students are able to balance their schedules.

While currently involved as a Gustie Greeter, and eventually balancing classes and music ensembles, Senior Chasey Wedge manages to still find time to do it all and stay active.

I feel that it is incredibly easy for students to start using Lund, regardless of the level of prior experience they have with fitness. Many people can be intimidated by all the different types of machines and equipment at the gym, but at Lund every machine has step-by-step instructions and visual aids that guide you through the movements as you go. Lund is a fantastic facility for people of all levels of fitness to utilize and I would strongly encourage all Gustavus students to go check it out,” said Wedge.

Senior Marta Sikora has a very busy and packed schedule between campus employment, sorority activities, and music ensembles. She also finds a way to make it all work.

It was tricky trying to balance all the aspects of my life. Fitting in classes, work, rehearsals, working out, studying, and hanging out with friends seemed impossible within the span of 24 hours, but that’s why I live by my Google Calendar and planner. Simply blocking out times to work out, practice my instrument, do homework/study and make plans with friends helps keep me organized and more confident about maintaining a balance,” said Sikora.

With fall sports starting up soon, here are some games to add to your schedule. Football opens their season at 1:00 p.m. on September 2 at home. Women’s soccer plays UW-Superior at 3:30 p.m. on September 1 at home. Gustavus women’s tennis is hosting the Gustavus Fall Invite September 17-18 while men’s tennis will host the ITA Midwest Regional Championship September 30-October 3.