The vibes are immaculate

Hailley Brune – Opinion Columnist

While it was still warm, I took a walk in the Arb after my classes were over. It was lovely. I haven’t spent a lot of time in the Arb, so I haven’t seen a lot of it. What I learned was that the Arb is really big and there’s a lot to see. So I decided to go soak up the Arb’s energy the next day while I did some work. I will provide a list and description on how to absorb the Arb’s divine vibes, preferably before the snow comes.
First step is to pack. You need to go into this with a plan. If you’re not sure exactly what you want that direction to be then just bring a variety of supplies. My plan was to go and write next week’s chapter for my book. It was a sunny day with a lovely breeze that kept me cool but not too cool. I brought my poetry notebook with me as well. I prepared so I could write a chapter, a Weekly article, a poem, or to simply lie down and read a book.
Step two is to pack a blanket. There are benches and places to sit, but that’s not where you’re going to get the best vibes from. Benches are lovely, but the Arb is really more suited for picnics. So bring a blanket because we’re sitting in the grass, baby.
Step three is to wear something comfortable, or get all dressed up. Why? Because we all deserve to feel lovely on the outside as well as on the inside.
Step four is to feel out the area that has the energy you’re looking for. For me this was during Fall Fest so there were a lot of people wandering around. I started off my journey by just going down a path the others weren’t going down. I didn’t have a full plan, just an idea. I followed the trail trying to find the spot that I was craving.
At that point I found the bungee cord swing. So, of course I sat for a good half an hour and just swung. There’s always time to swing. After I felt satisfied with my swinging adventure, I moved back on the path. I’d planned to follow the trails and sit by the large field or by any of the large open areas off to the side of the main trails. My plan was to get away from the bustle of people. That’s when I felt the right energy; there was a spot with three trees together creating a lovely shaded spot.
I decided not to stop yet because of all the people. So, I journeyed farther down the path. The whole way I kept thinking about how nice it would be to sit in the grass and how hot I was from my backpack. So I made up my mind and followed the trail and looped back over to a grassy area.When I made it back there were a lot of people doing the scavenger hunt. So I stopped under a tree by the little house in the Arb.
Step five is to lay out your blanket and get comfortable. I chose the shade under a tree and laid out my soft stitch blanket. You have to be careful how you pick your spot. If it’s a chillier day than pick a spot in the sun. If it’s a hot sunny day then you want to pick a spot in the shade. Each area in the Arb has its own vibe and feeling and each area has a lot of space which means many options. You want to pick a spot that is going to compliment your energy and mood, as well as the optimal place to channel the Arb’s energy.
Step six is to choose the right music. The music should speak to you similar to the rest of our adventure. Some songs from my Arb session are “A Moment Apart” by ODESZA, “Dreamer” by Ozzy, and “Brandon” by Motley Crue. Pick a playlist you like and skip around until you resonate with the music. Or, you can listen to the sounds of the Arb if that’s the energy reaching out to you.
Step seven is to get to work. The energy from the Arb should inspire you to do one of the activities you brought. For me, after sitting down I was ready to write some more of my chapter. So I pulled out my laptop and started typing away at my character’s lives. There was a lot going on, but I didn’t feel crowded. The activities didn’t disturb my energy; they lived in harmony together.
I sat for a good hour or so and the entire time I felt like I was being recharged. I highly suggest going and sitting in the Arb. If you’d like to get rid of some bad energy, take up a nice spot and soak up the sun. Want to get some work done but keep avoiding it? Make an event out of it by going to the Arb. Make it feel like a picnic and vibe with nature and the fresh air. Some days your dorm room or the library are perfect places to get work done and be productive.
Other days everything is distracting you and nothing is holding your attention. I can’t say the Arb won’t be distracting, but I know I enjoyed myself while I got some work done. In an hour I wrote around 1,000 words or about 3 pages. I’m now halfway down with something that’s not due till Saturday. You can even go just to reset your own energy and recharge, because the vibes really are immaculate.
you stronger or isolated. Giving yourself time to adjust is important, and sometimes that can take a while. It’s been a month already and I still haven’t fully adjusted, but just like the routine you made during your gap year, one can be made here too.