Students start quirky radio show

Every Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the KGSM website, two Gustavus students host a radio broadcast about different types of music and different themes they discover.

Senior Jared Morningstar and Sophomore Louis Gagnon share a hobby of discovering new music and looking at cultural aspects within them.

“Me and Louis talk about music all the time with each other,” Morningstar said.

Gagnon, also a writer for The Fourth Crown, shares in the passion for discussing music.

“I really like music. I like rambling, at length, about things I like,” Gagnon said.

Gagnon was interested in pursuing this show and asked Morningstar to be his co-host.

“I approached Jared and asked, ‘Do you want to host a show with me?’ and he said yes,” Gagnon said.

Their process of securing a spot on the website wasn’t that difficult when taking account an application and a fair amount of time slots open.

The aim of this show is to help students expand their horizons when it comes to music and expose themselves to types of artists ranging from alternative to hip hop.

“…our aim is to not only introduce our listeners to new kinds of music or at least expose them to music they might like, but also to learn more about music ourselves…broaden our musical horizons,” Gagnon said.

Recently, they covered emo music and even Swedish alternative music.

“So far we’ve done eighties hip hop, emo revival, Swedish alt rock…we kind of talk about some of the special elements of the songs or the genres we’re doing, point out some unique aspects,” Morningstar said.

The two hosts tend to split up the power of who decides what to cover for the week and where the show will be heading for that episode.

“We switch off week to week of who’s kind of taking the reigns with the topic and who has more influence on the direction, so that’s been fun,” Morningstar said.

Neither student feels a calling to radio as a serious career path, however, they both love what they do.

Gagnon feels a calling towards writing and hopes that music may be a part of that option.

“I approached Jared and asked, ‘Do you want to host a show with me?’ and he said  yes.” — Louis Gagnon

“If I could write about music for a living, that’d be sweet. I really like writing” Gagnon said.

Morningstar hopes that radio could continue as a hobby for him.

“I could see continuing doing [radio] as a side gig. If I could monetize it, that’d be great, I’d definitely enjoy that. I don’t know if I could see it as my primary occupation, but it’s a great experience. It’s really fun being in the radio room, working with the equipment and being able to share music,” Morningstar said.

Both students wanted to ensure that their slogan was shared for their episode.

“The revolution will not be live-streamed,” Gagnon said.