Tales From Abroad

An Open Letter to First-Year International Students,

There goes another summer. But this time it is different, because this time I was in the United States. I chose to stay and work on campus for many reasons: to make some extra money to set aside for the new school year, to enjoy the local cultural events in summer, and just to avoid the excruciating heat that’d be waiting for me back in Vietnam (yes, it’s always 100 degrees and the monsoons only make things worse).

Although there were conferences, camps, and weddings happening on campus, so many that my schedule as an event technical support person was completely full, I still couldn’t help feeling a little bit homesick. After all, it’s my first summer away from home, but it’s okay.

The number of new international students this year is certainly jaw-dropping, and seeing them walking around on campus brought me right back two years ago, when I was in the exact same place with my fellow international students.

Although the help of Jeff Anderson (the International Coordinator) and the Greeters surely made the first few days a lot easier, there were so many new things around us that sometimes we hardly knew what to do. It would take some time for us to start adjusting and assimilating into this new community, but the hospitable and friendly nature of everyone would keep this nothing short of a pleasant trip. And I know it will be the same way not only for this group, but for every incoming group of incoming international students in the future, and I wish you all the best.

It should be indisputable that the Gustavus campus is one of the places to be, as it was pointed out to a great deal of you. However, let’s not forget how wonderful the folks in the city of Saint Peter are. In fact, saying something along the lines of ‘yeah it’s a nice town, there a lot of things to do, you go to this place if you want to do that’ would never suffice. The people are friendly and will not hesitate to lend a hand should you need help. The public servants in the county courthouse will take extra steps to explain laws and regulations for international students. The public safety officers are attentive and helpful, with absolutely no record of police brutality. If you don’t believe me, go ahead and spend a day downtown, be it in the commercial area or the parks.

International students are just like anyone else, of course we want exciting places to go whenever schoolwork can be set aside. But let’s not take for granted how the peaceful atmosphere that a small-town setting can help you a great deal in concentrating on schoolwork. With Mankato a 20-minute drive away and the Twin Cities an hour drive away, you virtually lose nothing. All you have to do is ask a friend with a car, and if you don’t have one, chances are you can try harder to reach out and make new friends (it is a part of the ‘studying-abroad’ experience, isn’t it?). Even better, if you feel adventurous, buy your own car!

To close this letter, I hope that you all are aware of how important you are to making Gustavus a truly diverse and unique experience for college students can have. If you think I could help you in any way, feel free to seek me out. There will be many things to do and to achieve on ‘The Hill’, and you should feel proud to be a part of this community, so that you would miss it as much as I will two years from now.

Sincerely,

Long Hoang.