A Recipe for Boldness

We can all recall an instance when time fooled us; when we thought the moment would last just a bit longer and that ultimately, time would not apply to our circumstances. Only then the moment would end, the window of opportunity would close, and we would find ourselves defeated and disappointed that we would allow ourselves to forget this simple law of nature, in which time does not wait for anyone. When this rule is reminded to us, like a physics professor telling you for the umpteenth time Newtons law of what goes up, must come down, we sit in reflection. We ask ourselves the ever so detrimental “what if’s.” What if I had enrolled in a different college? What if I had bought that bus ticket to Timbuktu? What if I hadn’t worn that ugly sweater that Auntie May knitted and gave to me last Easter? What if I had just said hi to that sweet smile across the room in French class? What if I had done things differently?

If this was the 1950’s, advertisers and the like would be trying incredibly hard to convince every one that the secret to all of your what if’s and regrets would be some special brewed tea with a secret ingredient found in the amazon rain forest, or something so unbelievably dazzling that we would have to try it out. But if this really were the 1950’s, then that tea would eventually be taken off the shelves because, little did the public know, the secret ingredient would most likely have been crazy amounts of sugar contained caffeine, or possibly a drop or two of some non-FDA approved drug that would leave long lasting side-effects of hair or memory loss.

However, in the spirit of secret method and techniques, I would be happily obliged to reveal my recipe to solve the “what if” woes—and might I add, it is FDA approved. My recipe is for boldness: It is for anyone who has found themselves in a rut of regrets and misplaced question marks. It is for those who need to be pulled out of the depths of their own on going thoughts and who are searching for that special something that is called hope.

Although I say recipe, it is somewhat unconventional, it is something that can not be created in a kitchen amongst shiny utensils for baking or grilling. No, my recipe for boldness is to be used on a daily basis, among friends, peers, co-workers and even to be shared with you enemies. Boldness will require purpose, inquiry, self-truth, and, overall, goodwill. So let’s begin:

Step 1: Listen to your first instinct, unless it’s not fresh. Your intuitions and overall first thoughts on a given situation can usually be trusted. However, a really dumb and incredibly ill- advised idea can seem like a shimmering beam of truth and greatness when you are under the influence. Just remember, we can make stupid decisions when drunk.

Step 2: Grow your own luck. If you are known to have terrible luck, make your own. Do not simply wait around for things to go your way, because I can guarantee that you will be waiting for quite some time while everyone else in this world is living life, and capturing opportunities and lucky breaks because they are making it for themselves.

Step 3: Add a dash of determination. Not to take the words of the very well known Nike slogan, but I am telling all of you, just do it! Time has proven itself to be the enemy, again and again. This step in the recipe is crucial because boldness will fall flat if you take advantage of opportunity.

If you follow this eccentric and unconventional recipe and mix all three ingredients, you may have created yourselves a heaping bowl of boldness. Perhaps it can be used the next time you apply for your dream job. Maybe you will whip up a batch of boldness right before your next game day. Or maybe you will find yourself in the need of some boldness tomorrow at the President’s Ball when you want to ask that special smile from across the room to dance. We all need to be a little bold every once in a while, but it is up to us to make it happen.

-Ellie Sherwin