GUSTIE of the WEEK: Matthew Spoden

When Senior Matthew Spoden was a high school student sitting among his peers during a summer mission trip in the mountains of Colorado, he looked up at the stars. His eyes fixed on one particular star that seemed to be gazing back at him. As he continued to look at the stars he began to feel as if he was being watched. That’s when he finally made the connection between God and the sense of warmth and security that was beginning to replace his emptiness.

“My faith is a really important part of my life but it’s never been perfect. I’d never doubted God’s existence but in high school I couldn’t really feel God. No matter how much I read the Bible or prayed, I just felt empty. It wasn’t until after that mission trip that I started to grow as a person and understand that God will always be there to help me see value in myself,” Matt said.

“He’s truly a leader. Besides actually serving in leadership positions for multiple organizations, he’s a leader when it comes to everyday campus life.”—Zac Isaak
After graduating Matt plans to attend seminary to enter the ministry.

Matt says that his faith has been an integral part of his life since he was young. He even decided to attend Gustavus after spending a sophomore confirmation retreat at the College and he’s utilized his passion for his faith to shape a distinct niche for himself within the Gustavus community.

“Matt is an individual that is one of the ideal Gusties that represent Excellence, Community, Service, Faith, and Justice.”—Max Stelzner

“Matt has great curiosity in both Religion and Psychology that has led him on a pathway of great intellectual growth during his journey at Gustavus. As a student assistant in the Religion Department, he is currently consulting with us as we revise our major. He also plays an active role in campus ministry organizations,” Associate Professor in Religion, Casey Elledge said.

Not only is Matt a religion and psychology double major, but he is also a leader in Proclaim Leadership, Gustavus Youth Outreach, a Department Assistant in the Religion Department, a member of the Ultimate Frisbee team and an employee in the Office of Church Relations.

“He’s truly a leader. Besides actually serving in leadership positions for multiple organizations, he’s a leader when it comes to everyday campus life. He will stop on his way to whatever he has going on just to say hi and give you a hug. Overall, he represents the ‘lead by example’ phrase in its entirety,” Senior Zac Isaak said.

Matt says that while his faith is a very important aspect of his life, the people he connects with are equally as important to him.

“I study religion and psychology together because I love learning about what makes people who they are. I plan to go into ministry after college and that would mean I’d be interacting with a lot of people. I want shape my ministry in a way that fits the needs of different people,” Matt said.

When he finds free time between his schoolwork and organizations, Matt loves to play guitar, video games and foster as many meaningful relationships with people as he can.

“Matt’s personality is marked by an optimistic exuberance and an acute sense of what’s happening in his life and that attentiveness is balanced with a very easygoing attitude. He possesses a rare energy and relatability that allows him to connect on an individual basis with a wide variety of people,” Senior Nick Theisen said.

As he finishes up his final year at Gustauvs, Matt has big plans to attend seminary after college but until then he wants to focus on the present and enjoy the time he has left by meeting new people and continuing to teach the youth about religion.

“Matt is able to intertwine his social relationships and faith in way that allows him to interact with both. The Gustavus pillars represent his role in the community. Matt is an individual that is one of the ideal Gusties that represent Excellence, Community, Service, Faith, and Justice,” Senior Max Stelzner said.

-Jaurdyn Dobler

Matt studies both religion and psychology because he enjoys learning about others.

2 thoughts on “GUSTIE of the WEEK: Matthew Spoden