Tales from Abroad

Tales from Abroad is an ongoing section in which Gustavus students share the highlights of their study abroad experiences.

If you thought move-in day was a struggle, try packing your life into a suitcase for four months. Studying abroad for a semester had always been on the back of my mind, and each day here in Italy is a dream come true. I am so thankful that Gustavus and my parents helped get me here. Italy is an amazing country filled with gracious people, hundreds of years of history, and food to die for.

My campus in Florence is spread about in the city center, allowing for plenty of adventures when I get lost. Every cobblestone street I walk down I have the opportunity to meet new people and grow to love Florence even more than I already do.

The streets here are not on a grid system like in the United States, so I often times find myself walking in circles, literally. One place that I can confidently get myself to is The News Cafe, which is a local cafe just down the street from my apartment. I did not particularly like coffee before I came to Italy, but some things you learn to love.

I have also learned to master the art of sleeping on long bus rides, eating pasta every night, and relying on WiFi for communication. At first, not having a functional phone I could rely on day and night was a hassle.

Now, I know it is a blessing. I can shut out the rest of the world and be in the moment where ever I am. Whether that be the Swiss Alps, the Adriatic Sea, the John Lennon Wall, or simply enjoying a pizza with friends.

I am forever grateful to be able to see the world and share it with such inspiring people. I cannot believe that it has already been a month since I landed in Florence.

I can still remember those butterflies in my stomach when meeting my roommates for the first time and the fear that consumed me the first time I got lost. With time those uneasy feelings have gone away and I no longer feel like a tourist in my own city.

Getting lost is now just another adventure where you may end up on the other side of town watching the sunset. My sense of ‘home’ is now the people that I travel with and the memories that I cherish. For me, it is a feeling rather than a place.

I find myself already missing certain moments and the people that I experienced them with. I will miss getting gelato between classes and talking with friends about which country they traveled to last weekend. But I will not miss nearly getting run over by a Vespa everyday.

Traveling is new and exciting, but I do find myself thinking about Gustavus every now and then. I miss grilled cheese Wednesdays, frost your owns, and my home on The Hill. See you soon, Gusties!

-Courtney Castleberry