GUSTIE of the WEEK – Maggie Kennedy

After transferring to Gustavus during January Interm Experience of her sophomore year, now Senior Maggie Kennedy felt  she had flown mostly under the radar.  Those who have met her would disagree, believing t her genuine personality and passion are difficult to miss.

“There is much to admire when it comes to Maggie’s personality and character. Some people might be hesitant toward being themselves, but Maggie knows who she is and embraces being herself. She isn’t afraid to be different. What impresses me the most about Maggie is her ability and willingness to let her personality shine bright onto others. By doing this she teaches us how to do the same,” Senior Colin Rieke said.

Maggie takes pride in allowing her personality to shine bright. She refers to it as her own personal mantra.

“Some people might be hesitant toward being themselves, but Maggie knows who she is and embraces being herself. She isn’t afraid to be different.”—Colin Rieke

“I started it a year ago during my first full year at Gustavus. I was digging deeper into what I thought faith was and I realized that I don’t know everything but I do know that I just want to spread love. I think that Our Creator, whoever it is, places this love in all of us because they want us to experience life and joy with others. ‘Shine bright’ is a reminder to myself to let that love and joy shine out and affect others,” Maggie said.

Maggie shows that love and joy at all times. She brings a positive attitude to campus, class and especially to the dance studio.

“Maggie is a bright light in the studio and is often thinking one step ahead, trying to get to the heart of any matter. I see her as a member of the community who is willing and able to share her sense of humanity with others. I also see her wanting to share her story with the community through movement,” Visiting Assistant Professor in Theatre and Dance Jill Patterson said.

Maggie is beginning her final year as a dance major. Before transferring to Gustavus, she attended a dance conservatory in Seattle, Washington. She says her passion for dance has been obvious since she could walk.

“We have these video tapes of me when I was two. My parents would put on music and I would just start running around the room and dancing with my baby blanket. They hadn’t shown me anything, that was just always how I had responded to music. I love being able to express myself through movement. I have a learning disability so I’ve always had trouble expressing myself with words. It’s beautiful and calming to say what I want through movement,” Maggie said.

Maggie feels she can express herself more fully through dance, rather than words.

While she may have trouble with words, Maggie has made a lasting impression on those in the dance company as well as the Gustavus community through her warmth, friendliness and leadership ability.

“I see her as a member of the community who is willing and able to share her sense of humanity with others. I also see her wanting to share her story with the community through movement.”—Jill Patterson

“Maggie is a friend to so many people on this campus. She is always willing to stop and catch up, to give you a hug, or just listen. She is a leader in the Gustavus Dance Company and really inspires other students to work hard and take advantage of this special community,” Senior Maura Bremer said.

Maggie prides herself in making people think and it shows in everything she does. From dancing to sporting her half shaven hairstyle, she believes in being comfortable enough to be yourself and take advantage of the community at Gustavus.

“I don’t need to be a life changer, but I want to give people something to think about. Gustavus is too rich in culture, experience and education. The time flies by too quickly here to not be you. Don’t miss out on the connections and experiences you can make here. I want to encourage people to branch out and try new things. You never know what might happen,” Maggie said.

-Jaurdyn Dobler