Monitored residents: camera surveillance in North Hall

The camera, located on the second floor of North Hall, has created controversy among residents. Vinny Bartella

Residents of North  Hall have recently been informed that security cameras would be installed in hallways in order to stop negative behavior. Vandalism, harassment, and theft have occurred in North Hall multiple times over the past few months due to a small group of people. Complaints from residents and custodians have led to these drastic measures.

“Emails were sent out asking for these things to stop and they never did. We had a discussion and decided on what to do. We were adamant to send notice to students about the cameras because we did not want it to be a secret,” Director of Campus Safety Carol Brewer said.

According to Brewer, experience has taught her that once theft occurs, other crimes, such as ones that will directly affect the safety of others, soon follow. She wanted this behavior to stop before any personal safety crime occurs.

Since the cameras have been placed, students have had mixed emotions. Most students understand the purpose of these measures, but still feel as if these cameras are a violation of their privacy.

“The general feeling that I have gotten from other students I have spoken to is one of incredulity. No one likes to be constantly monitored . . . Most students view these cameras as unnecessary, and a waste of tuition money,” Sophomore North  Hall Resident Izaak Hagen said.

“It is someone’s home, and people do have their own expectations to privacy. It was not an easy decision to make and I do respect a certain amount of privacy that students should have,” Brewer said.

Many students living in hallways that are noticeably being monitored by cameras feel uncomfortable.

“I understand why it is there but, still, I don’t want people watching me. I hate it. [The surveillance camera] is right next to my door. I wake up in the morning and I see it there. I’m thinking, ‘Really? Man, I’m in my boxers here.’ I’m going to the bathroom with my toothbrush, and I feel like someone is watching me. My privacy is violated,” Sophomore North Hall Resident Bennet Woltjer said.

Even though these hallways are considered public, students often treat it as a private space, particularly when walking to and from shower rooms in limited clothing.

“While it may technically remain college property, I would argue that a residential hallway is not truly neutral ground, as there is a completely different set of social rules governing conduct in hallways,” Hagen said.

“These are dorms. We don’t have our own bathroom. We all have to go back and forth from the bathroom to our rooms, so it feels like a space that should be considered private,” Woltjer said.

According to Director of Residential Life Charlie Potts and Brewer, they are considering monitoring other hallways through the use of more digital footage.

“The people who have been effected by the vandalism and harassment deserve to not have that. I think there is a balance there. Do we put cameras in public spaces to preserve the dignity of certain students or deny that?” Potts said.

“Harassment shouldn’t be tolerated. I will say that there is at least one, and we are considering others at this point,” Brewer said.

Brewer and Potts assure students that the cameras were not a light decision, and that they do not catch any footage of people’s rooms or any footage of restrooms. But the placement of at least one camera has been raising questions.

“That camera is right in front of people’s rooms. I don’t see how it wouldn’t catch footage inside of people’s rooms when they have their doors open,” Woltjer said.

Brewer stated that student dispatchers working for campus safety can view footage that is being recorded at any time.

“I have student dispatchers monitoring cameras all over campus. These students sign confidential statements before they are allowed to work agreeing that none of this information will be shared,” Brewer said.

It is unproven whether the majority of students would approve of their fellow classmates monitoring their behavior in the hallways of which they live, but it is clear that some residents are uncomfortable.

“The idea that a student working for Campus Safety can, whenever they want, watch whatever I happen to be doing in my hallway is extremely disturbing. The camera is essentially a scare tactic employed by the college to threaten students in their own space,” Hagen said.

Needless to say, many strong feelings have risen as a direct result of the intolerable behavior of the small group of destructive students.

“The argument we always hear is that these students are adults and don’t need to be watched, but when you’re defecating in a hallway and vandalizing doors, it isn’t acceptable at Gustavus and the point is to make that behavior stop,” Potts said.

Those in favor of cameras in residential hallways are often students that have experienced the effects of these people directly, as well as parents that have called Campus Safety in regard to their child’s safety.

According to Potts, the goal is for students to feel safe and comfortable. Potts’ emails requested that the negative behavior stop and in the end, the emails were followed by more negative behavior.

With cameras installed, student residents are called on to assist officials in ensuring that the harmful behavior in North will be stopped.

“There hasn’t been an outcry that we have heard about, of peers telling other peers that we need this to stop. People see and hear about these things and this is the time to step up because you’re invested in this place being a great place,” Potts said.

5 thoughts on “Monitored residents: camera surveillance in North Hall

1. Is nice! Very important that there have a monitor in that section or have security cameras install. The reason for securing the properties.

2. Great tips! The goal of having security cameras for safekeeping not to person who attach that but everybody who covered by the camera.

3. Not only cameras have own surveillance. Some telephone have their own surveillance that always monitor.. Great post!

4. Have lot to encourage to have their house every time without in their house I’m still safe.. Good post!