Guild of St. Lucia reveals 2013 court members

Celebrated at Gustavus for the first time in 1941, the Swedish tradition of the St. Lucia festival will take place this year on Thursday, Dec. 13.  Haley Coller, Casey Lindquist, Hayley Nemmers, Christina Swenson, Mikaela Warner, and Emily Albrecht are the six deserving sophomore women, who were selected from a nomination list of over 60 names to be announced as this year’s official St. Lucia Court. These six women were nominated and selected based on four specific character traits: courageous leadership, service to others, strength of character, and compassion. Barb Larson Taylor, co-advisor of the Guild of St. Lucia, loves receiving the nominations.

“We get amazing stories—I mean we don’t ask for a lot, but sometimes people, even if it’s two sentences, say such beautiful things about these sophomore women. So it’s really fun to review the nominations,” Larson Taylor said.

The nomination process is open to all students and faculty. The list of names is then sent via electronic survey to all sophomore women, who then review the list and choose three women who they believe are good representatives of the four Lucia character traits. The Guild of St. Lucia, an honors society of senior women, reviews the survey results and selects a total of five or six sophomore women to be recognized at the St. Lucia court.  Casey Lindquist and Haley Coller, two court members both express surprise and gratitude regarding their nominations.

“I was really honored and surprised and really thankful that people saw me in that way, like what St. Lucia stands for,” Lindquist said.

“I am most excited to learn about the history of it, because I have just heard bits and pieces of information . . . It is a big honor to be on the court even though I am not as familiar with how it all works, but just knowing from what other Gusties have told me about how great of an honor it is to be on the court or even be nominated to be on the court,” Coller said.

The history of this Gustavus tradition originates in Sweden, where the Festival of St. Lucia is a widely celebrated holiday that marks the beginning of the holiday season. St. Lucia was a young Swedish woman who was killed for refusing to deny her religious beliefs early in the 4th century. She was killed at the age of 20, hence the nomination of sophomore women. The legend of St. Lucia was continued when many families gave accounts of Lucia appearing during harsh winter famines, bringing food and light to those in need.

The Festival of St. Lucia features young girls dressed in white robes who wear crowns of leaves or candles. These girls embody the legend by bringing food to their families and neighbors. Many cities or towns select a St. Lucia to represent their area for the festival.

“It’s just this day of rejoicing, and it’s really about bringing light into the darkness both literally in a dark part of the year, but also what Lucia as a person and as a legend stands for is bringing light as to caring for other people,” Larson Taylor said.

Last year’s Lucia, Nicole Ektnitphong, looks back on her experience as a very fond memory, but especially acknowledges the other women who she shared the experience with.

“I was able to really get to know a great group of ladies who are very compassionate and inspirational in their own ways.  Each of us [on the court last year] have a different story and each come from different backgrounds, from where we grew up, why we came to Gustavus, what we are involved with on campus, what we did in our free time, and I believe this was the greatest part. We all came together with our own lived experiences, which are very different, but we each all really share a deep respect for one another and continue to support each other to this day in various ways,” Ektnitphong said.

As it does every year, Gustavus’ St. Lucia celebration will begin with the current court caroling through the residence halls at 5 a.m. The St. Lucia festival will take place during Daily Sabbath in the Chapel. Employee’s children are always invited to share in the festivities.

One of the six women will be announced as this year’s Lucia and will be given a crown of candles. Following the service, a Swedish brunch is served in Alumni Hall, an event that draws many people each year.

“It’s really a fun day for the guild that helps plan it and for the court that’s selected, it’s really an honor to be chosen and to be one of five or six women in your sophomore class chosen for these pretty amazing attributes. They all view it as really a special day. From a student perspective, you can’t really pick a worse time to say I just need you to pause everything and just do this Lucia for a day. You know, it’s a really crazy time. But for the group that’s involved, that does just hit pause, that’s why we all love it, because you’re remembering what this whole season is about and I think that’s what’s so fun. It’s just about sharing love and sharing light and being kind to others,’” Larson Taylor said.

Emily Albretch

Hometown: Wimbledon, ND

Major: Communications and

(potentially) Nursing

Future Plans: Care for others and encourage healthy lifestyles as a nurse

Reaction: “I was overwhelmed with honor and mystery. I looked up St. Lucia, and now feel even more honored and deeply humbled. She embodies what we call servanthood and was truly an admirable young woman. I feel so blessed.”

Involvement: Collegiate Fellow in Sorenson, Center for Servant Leadership Vocational Intern, Servant Leadership Program, Elders Adopt-a-Grandparent program

Fun Fact: “I have 15 uncles!”

Haley Coller

Hometown: Bloomington, MN

Major: Public Accounting and Political Science

Future Plans: Attend law school for a career in corporate law

Reaction: “I was shocked. It is such a recognized tradition on campus and I feel incredibly honored to be nominated to be on the St. Lucia court. I had the outstanding privilege of being mentored by last year’s crowned St. Lucia, Nicole Ektnitphong. To go through it myself is truly phenomenal.”

Involvement: Gustie Greeters, Big Partner Little Partner, PASO, G.O.L.D., Women in Leadership, and Co-President of Model United Nations

Fun Fact: “I had poetry published in 7th grade!”

Casey Lindquist

Hometown: Chanhassen, MN

Major: Business Management and Communications

Future Plans: Work for a professional sports team or owning her own organic food brand

Reaction: “I felt so honored. I couldn’t believe that people thought to nominate me, and that they felt I possessed the characteristics and qualities that St. Lucia stands for. I am still shocked and so very honored by it.”

Involvement: Co-Vice President of Women in Leadership, Treasurer of the Communications Studies Club,President and Founder of Gustavus Women’s Club Hockey Team, Delta Phi Omega Sorority, Proclaim, and Big Partner Little Partner

Fun Fact: “My favorite dessert is ice cream with a lot of chocolate toppings, even though I am allergic to milk!”

Hayley Nemmers

Hometown: Des Moines, IA

Major: Psychological Science

Future Plans: Work as a social worker or clinical psychologist

Reaction: “I feel excited and honored. A couple friends told me they nominated me, and I could not express my gratitude enough. It was heart -warming to know I had touched their lives enough to motivate them to nominate me.”

Involvement: M-Pact, Diversity Leadership Council, CHOICE, Crossroads, and Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority

Fun Fact: “My mother and I got matching tattoos on my 18th birthday.”

Christina Swenson

Hometown: Marion, IA

Major: Health Fitness

Future Plans: Work as a physical therapist and serve on international medical mission trips

Reaction: “The St. Lucia tradition is very precious to my family, so I was thrilled when I received the rose. To be appreciated for the way I live my life is an incredible honor.”

Involvement: Collegiate Fellow in Norelius, Gustie Guides, Choir of Christ Chapel, Running Club, Prepare, and Swing Club

Fun Fact: “I am a third generation Gustie.”

Mikaela Warner

Hometown: Roseville, MN

Major: Communication Arts and Literature Teaching

Future Plans: Visit Rome, teach in the Twin Cities, and participate in a solution for hunger

Reaction: “I was completely shocked. I was pleasantly surprised by the smiling faces who presented me with my rose. It is an absolute honor.”

Involvement: Zeta Chi Phi Sorority, Study Buddies, and Prepare Ministries

Fun Fact: “This year will be the 14th year I have participated in Race for the Cure.”

Pictures will be online soon.