Coffee Talk

St. Peter is changing, and I don’t think I like it.

Returning to campus this year, I noticed a lot of things had changed– not just for St. Peter, but also Gustavus. The campus center is all switched around, the D Center is now tucked away in the PA’s old corner, and both Virgil and Judy are gone. Campus Safety and Res Life have new staff, and I’m lost in the Caf with those fancy new pop machines. All the change makes you feel as empty as the old produce corner.

The St. Peter movie theater is gone, too. This makes me so sad. Even though it was tiny and old, it had a rustic charm and was a staple of downtown St. Peter. The city nightscape won’t be the same without their red neon sign. And Econo Foods is now Family Fresh Market, complete with fancy, new, fake wooden floors, a fire place, and even a Caribou Coffee.

The first time I heard Caribou was coming to St. Peter I got a little nervous. But nobody else seemed to match my sentiments. I heard so many voices of excitement for Caribou’s arrival and have been seeing their trademark cups in the hands of Gusties all over campus. Even though I’m a die-hard coffee lover, I can’t say I feel the same way about this new Caribou.

Way back in the dark ages when I was a first year student, there were two coffee shops in St. Peter – River Rock Coffee and Waldo’s. I loved both, but preferred Waldo’s. I don’t know if it was the way they made my favorite coffee – mint iced lattes – or the way you could sink into their huge leather couches in front of the fire place, or even the sage green walls, but I loved that place.

While studying abroad in January of 2012 I received a heartbreaking email: Waldo’s closed. I never even got to have one last coffee.

Caribou? More like CariBOOOO! Creative Commons

Ever since then I’ve been a devotee of River Rock Coffee. The staff is always happy and friendly, and they’ve recruited a whole slew of Gusties to serve you with a smile. Their coffee is fantastic, they support local artists, and the old brick shop is the perfect place to work on some homework. And it’s pretty much impossible to stop by and not see a single Gustie or professor.

We need to support local places like these that infuse character into the community, and not just in St. Peter.

Even when you make the trek to Mankato, if you’re in need of a coffee fix steer clear the big brands and seek out local brew. The Coffee Hag on the main drag is another one of those small local places that defines the downtown area. Even though Mankato isn’t exactly a small town, the shop is an intimate solace on the historic strip that’s essential to the character of the neighborhood.

So, I guess as a big fan of small and local businesses, the new Caribou has me a little concerned.

We live in a coffee nation – the U.S. consumes the most in the world. Coffee is a staple of the college student diet and the lure of name brand brew may be too much for a town of 12,000.

If I want a Caribou Coffee, I’d get one on any given corner at home up in the cities. But in St. Peter? No. I’m here because the small-town community of GAC and St. Peter won me over.

Even if you’re hankering for a Berry-White Mocha or a Caramel High Rise, consider the local route and support the community you’ve chosen to make your home for these four special years.

Try a Cozy Sweater at River Rock. Maybe you’ll like it.