Another Bourne movie…

…not bad, not bad

I have to say, I’m impressed. I guess any movie that gets a sequel, turns into a trilogy, then spits out another addition (five years later and with an entirely new cast), would start me with some pretty low hopes. But The Bourne Legacy starts with attractive and not over-the-top action and instantly has layers that add fairly impressive mystery to the plot.

Jeremy Renner (Avengers, The Town) plays the esteemed protagonist, Aaron, a government spy much like the infamous Jason Bourne. He is deployed to Alaska for some top-secret mission where he consequently escapes a bombing of the shelter he finds by mere seconds.

There’s turmoil back in New York City with the CIA working at large to secure some secret government program which would no doubt make sense to someone familiar with the previous two Bourne movies. Though every layer was not as clear as a romantic comedy, the several other aspects of the film made it alluring enough to enjoy.

This movie brings an impressive cast that does well to bring adequate acting to the screen. Edward Norton (Fight Club, The Illusionist) plays a USAF boss carrying high authority and bringing a good character to the scene.

Then we have the aforementioned star of the film, Jeremy Renner, who has continued to prove himself in action-packed films over the last four to five years (with the exception, perhaps, of the abominable fourth installment of Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise). Also on board are Michael Chernus (Love and Other Drugs), Corey Stoll (Salt) and Rachel Weisz (The Mummy).

I had initially planned to go back and watch the previous three Bourne films to get myself on par with the background to the film’s plot and where it would pick up. But, as I thought more about it, I decided that was an incredible undertaking, and I’d be ready to punch twelve people by the time I got through two and a half.

So I instead decided to enter the ring blind, and, boy, it wasn’t half bad. In fact I’d watch it again. So let that be heard: Go see The Bourne Legacy because it’s above average as its own film. I assign three and a half stars out of five.