RE: Exclusivity

By Emma Hinrichs Class of 2013 | March 16, 2012 | Letters to the Editor

Has anyone ever seen the movie Mean Girls? I can guarantee that many of us have. Knowing that, we all know the famous line towards the end of the movie, when Regina is wearing sweatpants on the wrong day and Gretchen screams, “You can’t sit with us!” This movie is very comical and many people remember these infamous quotes. This is a favorite movie on the Women’s Swim Team here at Gustavus. We decided to place it on our T-shirts for our season this year.

Now, I love the swim team very much, so I feel the need to stand up for it concerning the previous Opinion article mentioning exclusivity. I think that people need to realize that the swim team, along with the cross-country team, (and other sports) spends close to 25 hours a week together; we bond through intense and grueling practices and countless hours spent travelling and competing.

I think it was an unfair statement of the previous columnist’s comments about exclusivity on the Gustavus campus. Personally, I am involved in multiple organizations, and my swim teammates support me fully in all of those activities. Also, if you take a closer look at the so called “swimmer table” you will notice that not everyone at the table is an actual swimmer. Roommates, friends, significant others and even classmates will sit with us.

To me, the article was attacking certain groups on campus and using them as scapegoats to present her argument. The lesson to be learned here is to not judge a book by its cover; the groups mentioned in that article bring diversity to Gustavus. We (the swimmers) appreciate each and every group on campus, and yes, you can sit with us, just remember, on Wednesdays, we wear pink!

1 Comment

Comments are the sole opinion of the visitor who submitted the comment and do not necessarily reflect the views of the author of the article, its editors, or The Gustavian Weekly or Gustavus Adolphus College as a whole.

1. speed up computer says:

would you like to get some information about speeding up your computer? You can visit Acebyte Utilities’ website( to gain free and easy tips!