RE: Pavement of Malls

After observing foot traffic on campus in recent weeks, I wish to submit a modest proposal. The powers-that-be should consider paving all of Eckman Mall and the east end of the West Mall. Many pedestrians seem to have adopted the simple geometric axiom to plan their itineraries across campus  – “The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.” I suspect that very soon the recently-laid sod between Christ Chapel and Nobel Hall will be reduced to bare dirt from the constant foot-trodding. The knolls on Eckman Mall are already beginning to resemble the infield of a sand lot for playing baseball (or maybe even the pitcher’s mound). Just a suggestion for a solution to an eroding aesthetic of the campus.

John M. Lammert

Faculty, Biology

4 thoughts on “RE: Pavement of Malls

1. Not only the sod between Chapel and Nobel, but the sod between Beck and the sidewalk that splits IC and Olin, perhaps even more so. There will be a beautiful dirt trail there soon, I’m sure. And don’t even get me started on corners. It’s a little sad to see sod that was put in not two months ago nearly trampled to death.

1. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well trewtin article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback. | |

2. Why didn’t they wait to lay the side walks? It’s not as if cattle paths are a recent phenomenon here.
    They should have laid sod everywhere, then lain the side walk where the paths sprung up.
    If aesthetic truly is you’re motive, Mr. Lammert, then you must have a well refined taste to prefer tarmac to a well trodden field.

Dempsey Schroeder ‘014