Mondays are not always horrible. They can be wonderful.

Mondays.
Who invented them? …Why?

Here at beloved Gustavus, we learn (hopefully) about the history of Western civilization and the development of our culture and perspective. If not, something’s up with where our money’s going.

Since attending this hilltop haven, I’ve been blessed with a good handful of EXCELLENT MONDAYS! I beg of you, how does that happen?

In my experience, it starts with a good morning. Sunrise, fresh air, collegiate memories all help kick-start this phenomenon.

Good Mondays happen when there’s nothing in them that make them bad. I anticipate the best situation, not filling in the blank with details of the five Ws or the H of How, I just let it happen.

On that note, I shall plug in a bit of Nobel Conference 46 wisdom. Marion Nestle, in addition to advocating wellness, reminded the folks listening that feeding the world well is not an all-or-nothing affair. In regard to “safe food,” Nestle spoke realistically when she said that she does not think in terms of perfection or 100 percent completion.

These gracious words remind us that while humanity necessitates clear and defined limits, perfection is not something we expect. We try, and we TRY AGAIN, as another Nobel speaker Cary Fowler urged, but the result is likely less than perfect. That is not to say that it does not have merit or that it is not “good.” Indeed, many of the good things on earth (written about prolifically by philosophers, theologians, Shakespeare and more) are not perfect or idyllic or idealistic. Imagination and hope compel us to have that perfect Monday, but it does not exist. What does exist is that grayness of good; let’s call it silver, as it is illuminated like the clouds, in positivity.

Hope is out there. Perfect days, perfect years, perfect legacies do not exist, at least in this life on earth.

Look forward to the next Monday you live. It could be good. It could, and I believe it WILL.