It’s November

Has the memory of move-in day already faded in your mind, or does it seem like it was maybe last week? It’s November, and that means snow, ice and the arctic breeze are on their way. I know you probably don’t even want to hear about it right now, but it’s November, and let’s face it, we all get a little down on November every year it rolls around. But I want to reclaim November in your minds and give you a little hope for the weeks to come.

1. November is a whole lot better than March. At least now the snow is fresh, the falling flakes are a novelty and playing in snow is something we haven’t done for months. Maybe you haven’t made snowmen, snow furniture, snow forts, or any kind of snow sculpture in years, but I encourage you to try again. Snow is a forgiving medium: you can always add more or take away what you don’t like, and at the very worst what you’ve created can be destroyed in a fun way (by stomping on it, for example).
  2. November marks some pretty neat events on campus. It gets cold out, so we need things to do. Keep your eyes open for posters and other announcements for events happening on the weekends. I know the theater gets really busy this time of year, and there are concerts every weekend too. If you don’t take advantage of these free venues, you’re really missing out on all the quality programs we have here, and it’s always nice to see your friends perform something they’ve been working on all year.
  3. November has Thanksgiving break. We’re always thankful for Thanksgiving break. Unlike Reading Days, you can actually spend time not doing homework and travelling, and let’s face it, at that point, we all need the chance to catch our breath before December rears its ugly head.
  4. You might not all agree with me on this one, but November is always when certain kinds of music make their way back into my life. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin—the smooth voices of jazz come back on my iPod. There’s something magical about this time of year, when we start wearing long warm coats and mittens, and the music that goes with it in my mind makes the transition extra-special in this month of November.
  5. Really, November is a lot better than March. It can be just as cold, but at least in November things don’t look like a post-apocalyptic nuclear-winter wasteland.

Well, maybe these aren’t the five best reasons to like November, and a couple are contingent on having cold, snowy weather. But I think we all want the mercury to plunge below 32 degrees once and for all, so we don’t have to deal with all the ice melting and refreezing and overall gross slush that can accompany a slow transition into winter. Besides, I have a winter coat I want to start rocking, and I have some new gloves too … I just want an excuse to wear winter clothes. So it’s not a really rational argument like I usually have for you, but let’s face it, “Sometimes a [winter coat] is just a [winter coat]”.

One thought on “It’s November

1. I agree. Maybe it’s because we’re all waiting for those holiday carols we grew up with, like Let it Snow, Let it snow, Let it snow.

Stay warm! 🙂