Rest and relaxation: self care during Fall Break

Elliot Steeves-

Self-care and mental well-being can be a challenge for Gusties, especially as they approach Fall Break. Nevertheless, it remains an important point of emphasis.

Around this time of year, stress, anxiety, and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), begin to show themselves and their symptoms. SAD is a form of depression that affects most people during the fall and winter. Usually, it causes significant distress and will impair academic and social function. It is caused by decreased daylight hours, which have an effect on brain chemistry throughout the school year. This article is here to help highlight some of these issues and provide resources.

First, though, I will deviate from the norm for this shorter issue of the Weekly in order to talk about some of my personal experiences with stress and depression during this time in years past.

I remember my first two years of college fairly distinctly, as they were right on the edge of the Coronavirus pandemic that shuttered most in-person classes and activities. As a result, I did not have much of a reward to look forward to after I grinded countless hours writing papers, reading textbooks, and translating Latin words in preparation for exams.

Because of all of the challenges these things presented, this was the period of my life where I would slink deep into a depressive little rabbit hole. I would lay in my dorm for entire Saturdays watching college football, and call my mom in tears. I was stressed by everything that I had to deal with for the upcoming week, and even the entire semester.

The biggest help, however, was revealed to be within the confines of my bedroom: my roommate, Jake.

Having a voice that I could talk to about college, how my year was going, friendships, all of it, was an immense boon for my well-being. I discovered that socialization was the key to having a healthier existence.

As I gradually adjusted to college, I gained more friends. And I opened up to them more and more as the years went on. Now, I sit here typing this thankful for all of the connections that I have. I’m not less busy, far from it, but I am far more confident that I have the help that I need.

I tell this personal story because I think that reaching out at this time of year is extremely important. We have hit a moment where the luster of the beginning of the year has worn off, and the studies crank up. It also might be a moment in time when unexpected challenges present themselves.

One of the best things you can do is reach out to a friend. Because if there’s anything that I have learned, it’s that you can’t get through tough study periods alone. Reaching out could take a number of different forms.

Asking a friend for help when studying is one possible gesture. Even offering your own hand to help and forming a study group is something that could get you all through this period. I have found that some of my most effective work is done when I bounce ideas off of other friends, and sometimes even other family members.

Friends can be there to help you through struggles as well. You might be reticent to open up to a friend about any and all mental health struggles-and that’s okay. But occasionally, you might have a friend who has gone through something similar. Reaching out to these people in your life could serve as that little push you need to get you through a hard period.

Students at Gustavus have several options at their disposal aside from their interpersonal relationships as well, though. The Counseling Center encourages Gusties to call them at 507-933-7027, or make an appointment with their office in Room 204 in the Student Union.

Additionally, there are five light boxes in the library. These are designed to assist with some of the problems that result in one’s brain as a result of SAD by giving off light in close proximity. To use one, students can simply sit by one for 30 minutes, glancing quickly once every 60 seconds. The light boxes are available on all three floors of the library as a first come, first served service next to other study tables.

So take it from me: if you enter a period where you are swamped, you can’t do it alone. I encourage all of our readers to reach out to a friend and not to be afraid of using the resources around you to help make your life a little easier.