Pins: the superior form of sticker

Houston McLaury-

During the month of October, I have much to look forward to. Corn mazes, apples covered in caramel, carving and consuming all matters of squash. It’s a time where I can delight in and enjoy my time, before suddenly remembering that my sibling, Puck, has a birthday this month. So off I rush to a variety of stores, finding either a candle they may like, a new toy for their cat, or I may browse the many online stores to find the perfect gift. And frequently, I come across a most confounding conundrum of choice… either the simple and elegant sticker to gift to my sibling, or the hearty and durable pin, which can last through any torment.

For me, I cannot deny my love for the pin. As I write this now, I look above my desk and see my hanging flag of pins, ranging from vibrant blues to the darkest of grays, one even glows in the dark if given enough light! I must also concede that these pins are mostly enamel, meaning they’re not the circular cheap buttons one can find on shop counters around town. These have a hefty weight to them, and for me, mean a great deal.

I also own a fair number of stickers; they reside mostly on my two separate water bottles. Yet, that is all I use them for. And honestly, unless I’m going to the gym or hiking for one of my labs, I’m not taking my water bottles with me everywhere I go. In all senses, pins are far superior to the sticker, thanks not only to its versatility but because of its durability. Within each category, the pin outshines the sticker in all aspects.

Going over the pin’s versatility, it’s easy to see why it is superior. Able to be pinned into cloth or cork boards, pins can be worn on either clothing, on backpacks, or can be used as decorations in one’s room. This variety of personalization that the pin offers allows you to spice up your appearance, and offers a conversation starter through your pin. Now, it is important to note that this often works best on clothes with layers. Things like jackets, hoodies, or vests often work best when wearing pins. And of course, with the small size of most pins, you can fit many into a single section of cloth.

Meanwhile, a sticker’s versatility is severely lacking. Not applicable to cloth materials, it’s better suited for slick metallic or plastic surfaces, able to stick and add some hint of personalization. For most college students, this is great! One is able to adorn laptops, Chromebooks, water bottles, lamp posts and some even going as far as to adorn their phones in stickers. And yet this personalization is only useful during select circumstances, such as taking your computer out for class, going to the gym with the water bottle or just being able to show off the sticker to friends by pulling the phone out. These situational opportunities are not versatile enough for me to endorse getting stickers when the pin is a much simpler and much more permanent solution.

Speaking of permanency, the durability of stickers is severely lacking. With some of the stickers I bought on Etsy and put on my water bottles, after four or five washes of the bottle they seem to wash away no matter what I do. And while the pricing is usually cheap, to have to buy another one in itself is an insult. Not only that, but they can also get faded colors if they’re left out in the sunlight for too long.

The pin is much better in its durability; it’s able to be dropped, stomped on, and thrown, all while still maintaining its shape and color. And, if it does occur that the pin that actually holds it in place is bent out of place, taking a pair of pliers and putting it back into place is no hassle. They both seem to suffer fading, wear and tear degrading the letters that mark one of my red pins. However, this shows their value to me and my adoration for these wonderful little pins through using them so often that sometimes their color fades.

The pin’s versatility and durability is unmatched, allowing quick and easy customization and personalization for the person on the go. And while the price tag may be a bit steeper, the durability alone makes up for the price of these wonderfully shiny little trinkets. So, go out and find some pins. I know that I’ll do my best to find some for my sibling to enjoy on their birthday.