College like expectations as a COVID high school

Tegan Hirman – Opinion Columnist

I took a gap year. That’s right, I decided to wait a year for COVID to calm down and then start school again. I am not sure any of us really knew what to expect when going to college during a pandemic. I certainly didn’t, and I was terrified at the prospect. Long story short, I graduated high school right when the pandemic started. ‘Go Class of 2020’ was printed everywhere and people felt sorry for us.
So when people ask me what my expectations were when coming to GAC, I really didn’t know what to expect. I had been literally stuck at home for a year and a half, so my life felt very secluded from reality. My already tight knit bubble only grew smaller and the outside world felt like a distant dream.
College for me was a way to pop that bubble I had grown accustomed to and start up my education again. I will say, despite not having any expectations, it’s a lot different from what I thought it would be.
For example, making friends in college is much harder than I thought it would be. I suppose I expected that it would be a tight knit community of intellectuals right from the beginning. I find that I am always thinking about school and always busy so forming multiple friendships is close to impossible. Trying to fit in breaks and times to eat seems near impossible as it is, how are we supposed to add friendships on top of that? I have yet to master my own schedule. My close friend here at Gustavus, Kallan Kychenthal, also feels similarly, and I imagine many First-years can relate.
We both came to the conclusion that it is very hard. Harder than we expected, but it’s ok if you stay on top of things. For example, in highschool Kallan didn’t use a planner and that made it very difficult for her to transition to college. Using a planner in college helps her stay organized and relieve her anxiety and stress, I also find this to be very helpful. When it comes to assignments, class times, and when exams are due are things that can go into your planner.
“I thought it would be life changing.” Kallan said. Life changing? I suppose this is a common theme amongst first year students. I blame this on the stereotypical movies we see on TV like, “Legally Blonde”, or “Life of the Party”. I have yet to have my bend and snap moment. But, I will say there are some great things about Gustavus that I was pleasantly surprised to find. For example, the Gustavian Weekly. In highschool writing was a part of my everyday life, so being able to contribute weekly to the newspaper is so exciting.
Also, all of my professors are so kind. I was expecting, like ‘Legally Blonde,’ to be confronted with stern and rigorous professors that look down on you. However, I find that the professors want you to succeed and they care about how you are feeling. Yes, the classes are rigorous and meant to be challenging, but that’s the best part. I am in a classroom learning again after a year and a half of doing absolutely nothing.
In the end, college life is different because of one big thing, and that is Covid. Wearing masks and having to do your daily self-screening is not something I imagined I would be doing my first year of college. Yet, at the same time it does feel somewhat normal. If I am being honest, I have been dreaming of this experience since I was 8 years old. I told my mom in the line of the Holiday car wash 11 years ago, “Mom, I think I am going to go away for school. Like Zoey 101.” She of course said no, and shot down my glorious plan. Yes, I dreamed of this day, and it finally arrived.
I didn’t think it was going to be possible, everything considering, and yet here I am. It’s different, stressful, but exhilarating nonetheless. I am glad I found this community, and no matter what new and challenging experiences I will face, I will move forward in my college career with a brave face.