Why Winter is an Underrated Season

Lexa Louis – Opinion Columnist

I think that winter is an underrated season in my opinion. The temperatures begin dropping, autumn is ending, and snow starts falling. During this time of year, there are many great activities. Some of these activities are skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice skating, snowmobiling, sledding, ice fishing and drinking hot chocolate by the fire.

“The first time I went cross country skiing, it was difficult to maneuver. After a little while, the strides became easier “

In the winter, it is enjoyable going cross country skiing on trails. It is a great workout. It’s like gliding across the snow. I still need more practice to become better at it. The first time I went cross country skiing, it was difficult to maneuver. After a little while, the strides became easier. Every once in a while, I go to Buck Hill to go downhill skiing. It is a fun activity to do in your free time.
I think that downhill skiing is a little bit more challenging to learn. I have never been snowboarding, but it looks really fun. The best snow to ski on is fresh or powder snow. Another activity is sledding. On days where going skiing or snowboarding doesn’t seem as interesting, this simple activity is fun to do with friends.
Another fun activity to do in the winter is snowshoeing. Walking through a trail in a forest with snowshoes is a unique experience. Some things to see are the sparkling snow, frozen trees, frozen rivers and lakes, and wildlife. Although it can be extremely chilly outside, the environment is beautiful. Hearing the sound of shoes crunching on newly fallen snow is pleasing. It is great seeing pictures of Minnehaha falls frozen with the blue icicles that hang from the top of the ledges.
In the winter, it is easier to find wildlife. Without the greenery, there are fewer spots for them to camouflage themselves in. A lot of wildlife I see more frequently during this time of year are deer, coyotes, foxes, and bunnies. It is nice seeing ice sculptures too.

“When the temperatures are too cold, it is relaxing sitting by a fire and sipping hot chocolate. It is enjoyable watching films with friends and family, and it is a special thing cozying up.”

Last year, a fun event that combined lights, ice sculptures, and other seasonal decorations was the GLOW Holiday Festival. It was surreal and relaxing driving past illuminated trees and wonderfully crafted sculptures. It is unfortunate that they melt away as the seasons change and temperatures start rising. Nighttime during the winter is special. The lights that hang from the houses, trees, and other structures add to the magical feeling.
While taking a walk at night under the lit street lamps, it is easier to see the snowflakes falling. Sometimes it is fun to grab a hat, mittens, and coat to take pictures of a winter landscape. Many times throughout the year, ice crystals, or hoar frost appears on the trees. I swiftly grabbed my camera to capture the surreal scene. To my surprise, the wind picked up and blew the crystals off the trees. Luckily, I was able to capture the hoar frost before it disappeared. I will never forget that morning when I looked outside and saw the stark appearance of the trees. Sometimes a winter sunrise or sunset will display a vibrant sky with purple or pink hues. When this is complemented by an abundance of snow, a wonderful scene emerges. On the frozen lakes and ponds, sometimes there are ice skaters and people ice fishing.

“While taking a walk at night under the lit street lamps, it is easier to see the snowflakes falling.”

I have gone ice skating a couple of times, but similarly to skiing I am still a beginner. I remember when I first went ice skating, and it was difficult to even stand. As I did it more, the movements were a little better. I like to watch others play hockey at actual games or for fun on a pond. I frequently see ice fishers on lakes with their ice houses. I have been fishing in the summer, but I haven’t been ice fishing. It looks really fun and rewarding. I also haven’t been snowmobiling, but it looks like a very exciting thing.
The joys of winter aren’t only confined to outdoors, though. When the temperatures are too cold, it is relaxing sitting by a fire and sipping hot chocolate. It is enjoyable watching films with friends and family, and it is a special thing cozying up. Another great aspect of this time is my birthday and favorite holiday are in this season.
Some may say that winter is miserable, but there are many aspects of it that make it special and my favorite season. With the ice skaters on the ponds, the snowmobilers racing through the snow, the cross country skiers on trails, the downhill skiers on the slopes, the beautiful environment, and the cozy atmosphere the season is a very wonderful sight.