Gusties spend J-Term in warmer weather: Students visit Japan and Austrailia on Olympic Quest J-Term

One of the largest January term trips this year was the Olympic Quest to both Japan and Australia. Forty Gusties and two Gustavus faculty members traveled to these countries over the month to learn more about the topic. “[The purpose of our course] was to learn about the Olympics and sports within the countries that we traveled to. We toured different sporting facilities, Olympic stadiums, and sports museums,” senior Heidi Oare said.

Students had many expectations and moments they were looking forward to prior to embarking. “I was super excited to travel to two new places that I never thought I would have the opportunity to go to. I was excited to experience two very different cultures,” Oare said. Other students were eager to build community while traveling. “I was most excited about getting to experience different cultures and being able to meet new people while experiencing new things together,” sophomore Sydney Douglas said.

Douglas was excited about many different aspects of the course, especially the opportunity to attend the Australian Open, a sport that Douglas plays for Gustavus. “My favorite part of the trip was going to the Australian Open, mostly because I’m a tennis player and I got to see a lot of players who I have looked up to for a long time. Another highlight was getting to go skiing in Nagano and Bungy Jumping in Cairns,” Douglas said.

The class stayed in Japan from January 6-14 and Australia from January 14-29. “In Japan we stayed in two different hotels, one in Tokyo and one in Nagano. In Australia we stayed in hostels in Cairns and Melbourne and a hotel in Sydney. Our group was always on the same floor and area so it was easy to find friends and meet up with people,” Oare said.

Challenges accompanied the trip, like most traveling endeavors, but it did not greatly impact the Gusties’ experiences. “Missing home [was difficult]. It was hard to be away from my family and friends for so long but their support was amazing,” Oare said. Douglas commented on a stomach bug that followed the group. “The biggest challenge that we faced during the trip was the never-ending stomach bug. Once we arrived in Australia, we started staying in hostels instead of hotels, so there were a lot more people sharing bathrooms. After the first case of the stomach bug, there was always at least one new person coming down with it every other day. By the end, almost half of the people on the trip had been affected. This caused a lot of stress and panic because it’s obviously no fun to be sick, especially in a foreign place and a shared bathroom,” Douglas said.

Douglas was also grateful for everything she has learned while on this specific study abroad opportunity. “ I learned many things while abroad, but I think the thing that has stuck with me the most is the Japanese culture and the level of respect that they all have for each other and their country. I also learned many things about the Olympics and how sport plays into the cultures of both Japan and Australia,” Douglas said.

Those who attended the trip recommend the future Olympic Quest courses. “If you’re at all interested in sports/the Olympics, it’s definitely the right J-Term study abroad for you,” Oare said. Douglas echoed with similar thoughts. “I believe that students should attend this J-Term for many different reasons. One main reason is that it pushes you out of your comfort zone whether it’s trying new foods, experiencing new religions, or doing something adventurous. Along with this, you get to make lifelong friends and travel to places that are unbelievably beautiful,” Douglas said.