Fellow Friends

Also known as Resident Assistants, Dorm Advisors, or Senior Resident, the Gustavus Collegiate Fellows (CFs) offer far more than dorm assistance. CFs are identified as leaders on campus with ties to Gustavus’s core values – Excellence, Community, Justice, Faith, and Service. The Collegiate Fellow program operates within Residential Life, a larger organization committed to a student-focused approach to campus housing and student life.

Prior to orientation weekend, CFs undergo extensive training through the college. CFs must be familiar with a vast number of resources on campus so the two weeks before school starts are packed full of informative sessions and activities.

“We are specially trained to handle conflicts, confrontations about policy, empathizing with others, sexual assault, stress, and a huge variety of issues that Gusties may face in their time here,” Junior Jacob Bush said.

Bush is serving his second year as a CF in Gibbs Hall. Bush has been a CF of both first-years and upperclassmen with positive experiences from both groups.

First and foremost, CFs strive to build community and create a safe living environment. However, as employees of the college, CFs also maintain hall safety and security each night on shift.

Additionally, CFs undergo training on Title IX, diversity, active listening, conflict and confrontation, and community learning. CFs also plan programs to educate students about these topics to encourage openness and community on campus.

“We serve to “keep the peace” in the residence halls. From roommate mediations to maintaining appropriate noise levels in the halls, we ensure a safe, happy community for everyone living in the residence halls at Gustavus,” Bush said.

“We are specially trained to handle conflicts, confrontations about policy, empathizing with others, sexual assault, stress, and a huge variety of issues that Gusties may face in their time here.” Jacob Bush ‘18

CFs also serve as resources for their residents and other Gusties. While this may include acting as confidants to students going through difficult times, it also includes the simplicity of being a friendly and welcoming face around campus.

“I wanted to become a CF because I LOVE the idea of building community and meeting new people,” Senior Amanda Downs said.

Downs has been a CF for 3 years in Pittman, Uhler/Rundstrom, and Norelius, respectively.

“Being able to be a helper and guide for new or returning students is so important to me, and I love to lend a helping hand. If someone’s experience at Gustavus was enriched even a little bit by my actions, I have done the job correctly,” Downs said. 

Being selected as a CF is a prestigious job that comes with a lot of work and even greater reward.

“I wanted to become a CF because I love the idea of building community and meeting new people.” Amanda Downs ‘17

“Hands down the best part of being a CF is getting to know so many different Gusties. Through my job, I have met people I never thought I would interact with, let alone get along with,” Bush said.

Many CFs leave lasting impressions on their residents and many residents leave with wonderful memories of their first-year and suceeding CFs.

“I remember how welcoming my CF was. She did a great job balancing mentorship, friendship, and leadership in her position and did a great job making all of us feel at home our first year here,” Senior Olivia Gori said.

Often times, a positive impression of a first-year CF can prompt students to become a CF themselves.

“One of the CFs in Pittman my first year shared my passion for science. One night we talked for almost two hours in the Pittman lobby about different science careers and what they offered. It really had a lasting impact on me because he taught me about so many things I could do with my life and I explored a lot of them, which led to even more possibilities,” Bush said.

CFs offer many resources to students, but ultimately serve as a friend, mentor, and peer.