The Curious Case of Matthew Boyce – D3 to the NFL: Gustie wide receiver determined to defy all odds

If you walked up to Matthew Boyce in his senior year at Minnetonka High School and told him he would be a two time All-American wide receiver, and earn an invite to an NFL rookie camp, he wouldn’t have believed you.

“Words cannot describe how much this means to my family and me. I have the most supportive family, friends and classmates,and I couldn’t thank them enough.” – Matthew Boyce

Boyce appeared in only five varsity football games for the Skippers that year, and it looked like his sports future would revolve primarily around his lacrosse career, as he was a nationally touted recruit in the sport. However, Boyce chose to follow his older brother Anthony to the football team at Gustavus, and through unwavering hard work, determination and faith, became a record-breaking two time All-American wide receiver headed off to rookie camp with the Vikings. Whatever a “conventional path” to the NFL looks like, it’s not this.

Boyce has seriously defied the odds stacked against him. The NCAA estimates that there are about 1,083,617 high school student-athletes competing in football every year. From this pool only 72,788 players will advance to compete at a collegiate level. That’s 6.7 percent, most of who started for their high school teams. Out of the 72,788 collegiate football players, a mere 1.6 percent will advance to the NFL, and these athletes are almost all from the Division one level. So the probability of making it from High School to the NFL is a mere 0.08 percent, and that is not considering those who didn’t start in high school, and who played at the Division 3 level. To sum it up: Boyce is remarkable.

“Words cannot describe how much this means to my family and me,” Boyce said in a statement to the school. “I have the most supportive family, friends, and classmates, and I couldn’t thank them enough for encouraging me, praying for me, and for supporting me.”

Boyce currently holds Gustavus single season receiving records in yards (1,318), touchdowns (17), and 100-plus-yard games (9). Boyce also holds career records in receiving yards (3,295), and touchdowns (35). His phenomenal physical talent aside, all that know Boyce would primarily categorize him as over-intelligent, an insanely hard worker, a man of strong faith, and a team player.

“We are very excited for Matthew, he has worked hard and we are thankful he has been given this great opportunity. His skill sets and big time play making ability were evident on the field, but his preparation and understanding of the game were what set him apart. Those attributes will be a huge asset as he takes on this new challenge,” Gustavus Head Coach Peter Haugen said.

Although this would be a shock to Boyce out of high school, it should not be anymore. Since it became evident that he had serious talent, he has been working his tail off in the weight room for the chance to prove himself at the next level.

“His skill sets and big time play making ability were evident on the field, but his preparation and understanding of the game were what set him apart.” – Head Coach Peter Haugen

“I have been waking up at 5:00 a.m. the past couple months to drive to the gym, unsure if I would get an opportunity to show a team what I could do. I believe God has a plan for my life and I will continue to trust in Him. Going into camp I will have the mindset that I have always had, I am going to outwork everybody, make plays, and pray that God uses me in anyway He chooses. My favorite verse is Philippians 4:13 and it gives me confidence going into camp and reminds me that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!” Boyce said.

Camp began on Thursday, May 5, and if the Vikings know what they are doing they will sign Boyce to a long contract, because if his history has proved anything, it is that his best days of football are still ahead of him. Good luck Matt!