Beneath the Crown (4/29/16)

Who is someone who influenced you greatly in your life?

“I feel like a lot of people have influenced my life. You know the idea that everything happens for a reason? I feel that it’s like that for people you meet. Everyone who comes into your life does so for a reason whether it’s for short or long period of time. Everyone you meet or come across in your life can influence you or change you in some way. Everyone, to me, is important. The most important to me would probably be my parents. My mom is my hero and my dad is the strongest person I know.”

What was a defining moment in your life?

“I would say every time I moved was pretty defining. The first time, we moved to Tijuana for six months. That was moving from the U.S. to Mexico, and then from there we moved to Cancun, which was a huge change. It was a completely different lifestyle that we had to start living with that move. I wouldn’t even say that it was because I was young that that was the biggest moment. Honestly, and this is going to sound cliché because we’re here, but I think moving to Gustavus was the biggest life-changer. I was on my own once I got here. I mean, my brother’s here, but I had to make new friends, meet new people, and I had to get to really know myself in a different way, really in an introspective way.”

What do you hope to develop or improve on in the near future?

“Everything. I think everything can be improved on, and you never really stop growing. Again, it comes back to all the people you meet and the influence they have on you. It has to do with the decisions you make, the life experiences that are thrown at you, and how you handle that, you decide to learn from it or not.”

Beneath The Crown was created by Nick Theisen (‘15). It is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) and aims to bring the community of Gustavus Adolphus College closer together by providing the perspectives of the many different people who live and work at the school.