Beneath the Crown (4/8/16)

What is a trait or characteristic that you value greatly in a person?

“I think being able to communicate very openly and honestly is something I value greatly. It’s just really important to me to know that the people I’m speaking with are being genuine, since I also try to be as genuine as possible to them. So that’s something that I think is extremely important.”

What influenced that value for you, and how do you hold yourself to that standard?

“A lot of it has to do with my parents and how I was raised. They definitely brought me up in a household where you really had to hold yourself accountable for your actions. Also, in high school, I dated somebody for a while and he was very adamant about being honest and always did his best to tell the truth and be honest with everyone. I always admired that, I thought it was really awesome. It’s something that I’ve really tried to aspire to since then.”

Have your parents been big role models in your life?

“Growing up, they just loved each other so much. They’re always very honest with each other. I look at their marriage and say ‘That’s what I want my marriage to be someday.’ They’re just so caring and love each other and my brother and I so much. I think it’s awesome and it’s something I want for myself someday.”

What is some advice you would give to someone who is trying to communicate more openly and honestly?

“When you do it, you should think hard about what you’re going to say and be careful about it. Think ‘Is what I’m about to say hurtful to this person? Is there a way I can reword it to be less hurtful without lying?’ Just really think about what you’re going to say before you say it. Anyone can be honest, it takes more to be honest without being blunt.”

Beneath The Crown was created by Nick Theisen (‘15). It is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) and aims to bring the community of Gustavus Adolphus College closer together by providing the perspectives of the many different people who live and work at the school.