Gustie of the Week – Noah O’Ryan

As a child, Noah O’Ryan and his father would spend their quality bonding time taking regular trips to the movie theater. Now a junior in college, their tradition remains just as strong as the passion that Noah developed for filmmaking.

“My parents first gave me a flip camera when I was in 6th grade. I don’t remember the first film I made but I do remember the feeling of having that camera and the ability to record everything. Film has interested me for pretty much my entire life,” Noah said.

Noah’s passion for filmmaking has led him to develop his own niche within the Gustavus community. As a first-year, he actually started his own campus organization, the Gustavian Society of Filmmakers.

“Noah has created his own path at Gustavus. The Gustavian Society of Filmmakers has brought many people together over a common interest in the film industry. He is always looking to add to the community and help others in whatever way he can,” Junior Brad Basco said.

As well as developing the filmmaking organization, friends of Noah’s say he’s constantly providing a lighthearted atmosphere to the community.

“Noah is a wonderful guy. I am constantly laughing when I’m with him. His lively personality seems to radiate everywhere he goes and affects every person he talks to. You can’t help but smile every time you’re with him,” Junior Audrey Shattuck said.

Along with heading the Gustavian Society of Filmmakers, Noah is a Collegiate Fellow and helps out with GAC TV.

Noah believes that his ability to make others smile stems from his passion for building meaningful relationships with others.

“I love everyone that I know. It’s funny because I’m more naturally an introvert, but the more I started to get out of my room and meet people, the more I began to realize that I love getting to know others and maintaining relationships with them,” Noah said.

Even though he’s great at keeping the atmosphere lighthearted, Noah balances his fun loving spirit with responsibility.

“He’s constantly displaying his inner child and showing everyone his sense of fun, but I’d say his role in the community is definitely a leadership one. He is constantly helping make Gustavus a better place which is evident by the trail of smiles he leaves wherever he goes,” Junior Alex Shaikoski said.

“Noah is a wonderful guy. I am constantly laughing when I’m with him. His lively personality seems to radiate everywhere he goes and affects every person he talks to. You can’t help but smile every time you’re with him.”
—Audrey Shattuck

Friends describe Noah as a lighthearted, fun-loving guy who can make anyone smile.

As well as heading the Gustavian Society of Fimmakers, Noah is also a Collegiate Fellow, helps out with GAC TV, and developed his own Film and Media Studies Major at Gustavus.

“Starting my own major at Gustavus is definitely an accomplishment I’m proud of. To be able to argue my case and convince a group of people who were initially against it was one of the trickier things I’ve done but more rewarding as well,” Noah said.

While the future isn’t solidified for him, Noah says that he does hope to do something within the film realm. Whatever he chooses to do, his friends say they have no doubt that he will be successful.

“I know Noah can do whatever he wants to do with his future. Noah could be out in California making it in the movie business or he could be around the Minneapolis area doing whatever he sees as his next step. The future is Noah’s oyster,” Basco said.