A New Approach to Choosing a Major

Colin_RiekeAs college students there is one thing we all have in common: a “major.” If after four years you want a diploma in your hands, then you have to put some time into deciding what major is best for you.

When we think about what we want to major in, there are certain things that come to mind: what kinds of questions do you ask yourself when deciding a major? Some might include: what would you be good at? What is your dream job? What would pay the most? What do you enjoy doing? What would your family think?

These are typical considerations that come to us as college students. Yet they can force us to take a step into the unknown. When we choose a major it’s easy to place ourselves in the future. It’s easy to focus on then, as opposed to focusing on now. Choosing a major is after all an important decision because it effects your future. However, we must remember to distinguish between the “then” and “now.”

The real question is “what should I do with my life?” From here a typical process follows suit. First, you look at what the options are for each major. Then you imagine yourself ten or twenty years from now. You envision yourself as a doctor, a chef, or an accountant.

That process makes sense, doesn’t it?

I suppose it does; that’s how millions of people shape their lives, by asking themselves “what should I do with my life?”

When answering that question you unconsciously focus on deciphering the future. The future plays such a prominent role in your decision, your future is what affects the present. In other words “then” affects the “now,” as opposed to the other way around.

“It would be unfortunate if you haven’t asked yourself that question. However, there is a problem with using this question too much. The problem is that the present and the future are flip-flopped.”

It’s safe to say that your major does affect what type of job you will end up with, though not always. But your future job should not affect what major you choose. How can your future job affect your major? You don’t even have that job yet. It doesn’t exist!

I can see how somebody who wants to be a doctor will choose to take a pre-medicine track or major in biology or chemistry. Though, what if we lack those skills or do not finish the degree. Is your decision based on the wealth and social status it will bring you, even when you can’t stand helping others. In these situations the major is chosen based on the future job. What is forgotten is the “now.”

By obsessing over “then,” we forget to acknowledge us as we are. What are your current likes and dislikes? What do you absolutely love doing? When are you the most happy? What are you capable of doing?

These are the types of questions and things we should think about when choosing a major. They are centered on the present, around you.

So why don’t we choose this other approach towards choosing a major and figuring out our lives?

Well, we get stuck obsessing over “what should I do with my life” and become trapped by indecision. We get stuck because we think too much. We make choosing a major much more difficult than it could be. Since we have the tendency to be consumed by the future, we run the risk of believing the job we are going to get after college is the job we are going to have for the rest of our life.

If I had to choose a job that I would have to do for the rest of my life, it would take me forever to make that decision! That’s the type of pressure we put on ourselves, a pressure that leads to doubt and second-guessing.

The danger of focusing too much on answering, “what should I do with my life,” is the risk of making your decision on a major a “head-decision.” When you decide on a major using your head, your brain, you may actually be doing yourself a disfavor. Why? Because you didn’t make a “heart-decision.” You forgot about the “now,” and listened to what your brain told you rather than listening to your heart.

I spent two and a half years of my college career listening to my brain. I made “head-decisions” that would lead me to choose a major that would potentially land me a secure job after college. The the moment I started listening to my heart, I realized I wanted to switch majors.

Ask yourself “who am I?” and

“So I have good news for you my friend! Choosing your major is not a life-or-death decision, nor a permanent one. It’s a simple decision that involves focusing on you rather than what you should do. And even if you do choose the wrong major, it’s okay, you have time to figure yourself out.”

reflect on the person you have been as opposed to the person you see yourself as in the future. What kinds of things have you done or achieved in your life? What’s your lifestyle? Who are you?   

Pick a major that you’ll enjoy because it’s fun for you. If you do that, I promise you’ll choose the major that’s right for you. In fact, you’ll even be on course towards realizing your true vocation.

-Colin Rieke