Guest Submissions

keenan madsonKeenan Madson – On the Chinese Program

On July 15, 1979, President Jimmy Carter delivered his “Crisis of Confidence” speech where he addressed American’s fears that the future was not going to be as promising as the present. In echoing President Carter, I, too, am writing because the Gustavus Community is now suffering its own crisis of confidence.

If Gustavus continues with a trajectory marred by eliminated opportunities, the college’s future is dim. This concern arises as seniors, including myself, begin to reflect upon our collegiate journey in loom of graduation.

In examining the last four years, I have come to realize that the true value of a Gustavus education is an appreciation for serendipity or the fortunate occurrence of events. As a tour guide, in the admission office, I often ask prospective students what they want to major in. A few students already have four-year plans while most have no idea.

Either way, the nature of a liberal arts education breeds serendipity. As a first-year, I wanted to major in physics, however, I was encouraged to diversify my classes.

Prior to Gustavus, I had no interest in China. However, trusting the liberal arts mentality, I decided to take a leap of faith and take Modern East Asia with Dr. David Obermiller.

I gradually began allocating more of my free time to Chinese studies, as my interest in China became my passion. Shortly thereafter, Gustavus administrators decided to offer Chinese language courses.

So again, embodying the liberal arts philosophy, I enrolled in Chinese 101. Now it is clear that these leaps of faith were actually examples of serendipity.

I fell in love with not only China’s history, but also the Chinese language. Four years later, I am nearly fluent in Mandarin, have worked for a Chinese company, and studied at one of China’s best universities, all because of a class I took as a general education requirement my first year. This experience is not an anomaly but is, in one way or another, the experience of most graduates. By providing students diverse opportunities, Gustavus enables students to experience serendipity for themselves and discover their own passions.

Unfortunately, this fundamental component of our Gustavus education is being threatened. In the past few months, the Gustavus administration has cut funding from Chinese language classes and cut the number of faculty from 218 to 210.

I understand that the budget is tight and difficult decisions must be made, however, language learning represents the very essence of the liberal arts education. With the resources currently available for students to take classes about China, join extracurricular clubs focused on China, and study abroad through one of Gustavus’s direct exchange programs, a knowledge of Chinese is vital to the continued success of these existing opportunities.

The ability to take classes outside of your discipline is what differentiates Gustavus from other institutions. Eliminating opportunities and professors, both of which contribute to the success of students and the discovery of passions, is the wrong course of action. This institution is making a statement that they do not place an importance and priority on diversity education.

A liberal arts institution needs to be expanding opportunities, not minimizing them. I fear most that by eliminating opportunities of diversity, such as the Chinese language classes, Gustavus is preventing students from experiencing their own serendipity.

Courtney copyeditedCourtney Train – On Divest-Fest

The bursting of the Gustie Bubble left many feeling unease from budget cuts and employee guts. Only time will tell where this financial crisis will take us, because god forbid our administration does. Students’ movement to bridge the lack of transparency with administration is growing stronger with more gusto.

With the Board of Trustees (Gustavus’s Congress) on campus today, it’s vital we make our interactions with them count. Join students, professors, and staff for Divest-Fest, a student celebration to gather and show the administration of our college that we have a voice and we expect our voices to be part of Gustavus decision-making. The festival will begin outside of Chapel at 10:20 a.m.

As Board members exit Chapel, they are invited to Frost-Your-Owns, music, and open dialogue. Signs and drums are provided; all you need is your Gustie Pride and solidarity. This rally is for student voice in investments and administrative decisions that will affect our future.

Representing those already affected by financial and policy decisions, include Vocation and Integrative Learning, Nordic Ski Team, Divestment from Fossil Fuels, Chinese Department, Diversity Center, CICE, and the lack of institutional policy-making for hate crimes and harassment.

Divest-Fest calls for Gustavus’s divestment from exclusion and instability to its investment in sustainability, future, and community. Our Future, Our Voices, #OurGustavus seeks transparency, collaboration, and inclusion.

We hope that you are able to join us outside the chapel at 10:20 a.m. and every day hereafter as we continue proving “Make Your Life Count” starts right here on campus by using our voices to shape our future and our Gustavus.