Finding purpose and happiness

Colin_Rieke

You become more and more comfortable with your daily routines as time goes by. Wake up. Breakfast. Class. Chapel. Class. Lunch. Class. Nap. Practice. Supper. Homework. Bed.

Going through the motions becomes regular habit as we do the same things over and over again. It’s almost as if we live according to a pre-made schedule that says, “This is what you are going to do.” We live according to this schedule because that’s what we’re supposed to do; things need to be done. My question to you is: are you following that schedule because you should, or because you want to? Are you following someone else’s schedule, or are you creating your own?

This type of thinking has to do with finding purpose and living happily. In my last article the main theme was about following your heart in order to be happy. Pretty simple right?

Being happy can be seen as a result of living purposefully. The process of finding purpose; however, is not so simple. It’s difficult and can take some people their entire lives to achieve. If there is ever a time to start thinking about this stuff, it’s now.

Being a Gustie is a unique opportunity in the sense that you can be a student of your life, instead of only being a student of your school. There is no excuse for us not to take advantage of our liberal arts environment in an effort towards finding a deeper purpose. Are you going live how society thinks you should, or will you choose to carve out your own unique path? Do you want to exist, or do you want to live?

We are so concerned with ourselves and following our schedule, that we often lose sight of the bigger picture. You can begin to find purpose in your life right now. First, turn your attention to something you can give yourself to. This can be a passion, a hobby, a school organization, a sport, or a major. It can be your calling. As soon as you find this greater cause that connects you with something bigger than yourself, the light bulb inside of you will suddenly spark to life. Being a part of something greater is what makes us feel important and valued.

When I think about what makes me happy, I think about something that connects me on a grand scale with the world. I think about what I commit myself to. I think about making a difference through the service of others. I think about what gives my life purpose.

According to author and social scientist Arthur Brooks, many young adults hit the wall when middle age draws nearer. They realize what they have been doing has not made them happy. They no longer live a purposeful life. Why does this happen?

Our culture tells us to hit the gas, to make more money, to focus on your career, and to go after your goals. One of our primary goals is to be happy, even if we don’t actively tell ourselves so. However, we fail to realize happiness cannot be used as a means to achieving happiness as an end. Those who hit the wall do things for the sake of happiness directly. As a result, they pursue what they think makes them happy and skip the process of finding a greater cause.

A greater cause will often times concern itself with others. We are social creatures whether we like it or not.  With that said, there is a definite relationship between happiness and service to others. According to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, “When we help others, the focus of our mind assumes a broader horizon within which we are able to see our own petty problems in a more realistic proportion.” He also says that we acquire a deep sense of trust, security, and freedom, when we reach out to and feel connected with others.

Furthermore, we must realize the power to be happy is in our hands. I once thought that you have the ability to be happy with the snap of a finger, but that decision cannot be so simply made. The power to be happy is in your hands because only you have the ability to find what brings you purpose. Similarly, “You have under your control the portfolio to give yourself the most happiness possible,” says Brooks. What portfolio is this? It’s your guide to finding purpose and discovering happiness.

It’s you.

3 thoughts on “Finding purpose and happiness

1. Thank you for discussing this subject.
    For me i think the schedule that we are following in our life(normal life), is the most logical schedule to live efficiently ,( no time wasting).

Best Regards

2. It is foremost and necessary to be of help to those who are in need of it. The happiness one derives from such source is unimaginable.
    You are right with the quote by Dalai Lama and I do strongly believe in it.

3. Thanks for reading Prakash and hope you are doing well. Thanks for reading my article!