Tales From Abroad (2/21/2014)

Blake VanOosbree
Blake VanOosbree

It was my first time on a plane. My first time traveling solo. My first time going out of the country. I was headed to the most populated country in the world. Go big or go home, right?

At least that was the thought I clung to as I boarded the plane at MSP Airport, destined for Shanghai, China. I tried to remember why I had signed up for a semester abroad in the first place, but all I could remember was everyone telling me how this was an amazing “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” For a while, I think it was everyone else’s high expectations for my trip that kept me from running back through the security line to my mom.

Eventually, I did calm down. Over the next 20 hours of travelling, I did my best to bring order to my thoughts. I set to work listing my goals for the semester. This was my first time out of the country, and I had no idea what to expect. In the end, my goals all came down to one thing: keep an open mind. Considering some of the things I encountered over the next three and a half months, this was by far the best preparation I had made for the trip.

A lot of things struck me almost immediately. As a small-town girl, who grew up with fields on every side, being surrounded by skyscrapers, instead of corn or trees posed its challenges. Understanding the necessity of all the skyscrapers that hold the 22 to 24 million people did little to soothe me, especially considering the most populated area I had ever lived in was the Gustavus campus. Nowhere in Minnesota has ever had the kind of air and light pollution that Shanghai experiences on a daily basis.

Then there were the other things that began to sink in the longer I was in China. For example, using public bathrooms are a game of chance. You may have Western style toilets; you may have squatters. There might be toilet paper for you to use, but chances are there won’t be. If you’re really lucky, there might even be soap for you to use when you’re done. As a rule of thumb, always bring hand-sanitizer. If you’re travelling anywhere out of the main city areas, be prepared for doors that are no longer on their hinges, stalls that are cleaned maybe once a month, and even “bathrooms” that are nothing more than holes over the ground.

In these instances of my travels, keeping an open-mind was imperative. If I had let these small nuisances get to me, I might have walked away from China with a very negative impression. The actual impact China left on me was remarkable.

I spent most of my three and a half months studying in the metropolis of Shanghai. This city is a cultural hub for one of the fastest growing nations in the world. You can walk down a street and see the remnants of the French imperialists on one side and impressive skyscrapers on the other. You can have McDonald’s for lunch and traditional Chinese dumplings for supper. With only a few yuan, you can travel just about anywhere in the city. If you ever feel the need to pick up a few things or want a quick snack, there are markets and street vendors to meet your every need.

If you decide you need a break from the bustling city, a trip in any direction can bring a change of pace. While in China, I was able to spend a weekend in both Xi’an and Beijing. There is no place in the U.S. that can compare to the history that can be found in these two cities. From the Terracotta Warriors to the Great Wall to the Bird’s Nest, you can see China’s extensive history with its desire to become a world power. I was also able to take a week trip to both the northern and southern regions of China. In the north, cool and dry deserts welcomed me. In the south, warm, humid air and the lush hills left me breathless.

No matter where I went, I experienced a culture so wonderfully different from my own. Sure, they may have customs and habits that may make us raise our eyebrows. On the other hand, some of the things we do come off as rude and even disgusting in their eyes. Keeping an open mind allowed me to not only understand the differences, but it also allowed me to make the most of every moment I was in China.