Gustie of the Week: Nate McNab

Poised with a relaxed smile, Junior Nate McNab sat back in his chair as he reflected on his experience at Gustavus Adolphus College. With a laugh and a shrug, he admitted that once sheltered and innocent, his former self would be genuinely surprised to meet present Nate.

“My former self would not be as open minded as I am now,” Nate said. “My former self was a sheltered, goody-two-shoes you could say and now I’m more like an experienced human who’s tried a little bit of everything here at Gustavus.”

In many ways, Nate’s experiences begin and end with people. He’s a member of Gustie Greeters, a group that has taught him to have fun and be himself, the Epsilon Pi Alpha fraternity, that taught him how to trust others, juggling club, and choir. He also works as an intern for the Center for Student Leadership and Habitat for Humanity, which taught him the importance of giving back.

“Nate plays a big role in the Gustavus community. He positively represents the college in so many ways by being involved in clubs and organizations that are not only benefiting himself, but that are benefiting other people as well. Nate is always looking for ways to help others,” Junior Kadie Habana said.

As a religion major with a music minor, Nate utilizes religion as another way to connect with people.

“Religion is such a cool way to connect with everyone in the world, because no matter what religion you have I can still say that I learned about it and we can talk about it,” Nate said. “Plus I love taking time to think about the meaning of life and what life means to every individual person.”

As a well-distinguished member of the community, Nate maintains a balance of head and heart. Those who meet him talk highly of his light-hearted, yet sincerely caring soul.

“Nate possesses a rare ability to live within the tension of idealism and realism, for just as he is aware of the various challenges our world faces, he also recognizes the importance of serving as a joyful influence upon all whom he meets,” Chaplain Brian Konkol said. “Just a few days after we first met, Nate allowed Chaplain Siri and I to ride his skateboard on Eckman Mall, and he continues to give us in the Chaplains Office ideas about how to best serve in our role for the community.”

During his free time, Nate enjoys being with people doing just about anything from hanging out with the Greeters to taking adventures on campus.

“Nate is goofy and light-hearted, yet sincerely caring when he senses people need someone to listen. I would describe him as very social. Nate is everywhere all of the time and gets his energy from being around multiple people, or talking to 20 people in a matter of five minutes,” Junior Kelli Remboldt said.

With his time left at Gustavus, Nate wants to build memories to look back on and tell his kids about in the future.

“I’ve always had this image of an office in the future that would be like ‘Dad’s room.’  I want to cover the walls in that room with pictures and then before bed when the kids come in, they will get to point at one and I would tell them the story behind it,” Nate said. “So I guess I want to be able to fill most of that wall in the future with pictures from my Gustavus experience.”

In the future, most friends and faculty who have come to know Nate see him working for a non-profit organization.

“In five years, I think Nate will be at seminary or working for a non-profit organization,” Junior Zach Jensen said. “In addition to doing something like that, he will be exploring the mountains.”