Undeterred and unsatisfied

It read,

“Her resignation is effective immediately.”

Chaplain Rachel Larson served the Gustavus community for 12 years, yet the only information released about her abrupt departure is a 190-word email that was sent to Gustavus students, faculty, and staff this summer announcing her resignation. Sent June 28, 2013, the day following the 764-word email announcing President Ohle’s retirement which described his 5 years of service thus far, I find this timing more than an intriguing coincidence.

I have been extremely frustrated in my attempts to gather any information whatsoever about Chaplain Rachel’s sudden departure, and I find this deeply troubling. Even in my attempts to contact Rachel, she declined to make any comment, and this I find deeply troubling as well. Which is why I have resorted to dissecting the only available source we have for her resignation — a 190-word email.

To examine the revealing email further, I would like to direct your attention to Rachel Larson’s announcement of her resignation, her reasons for doing so at such an unorthodox time (the end of June, following a meeting of the Board of Trustees), and her plans for the future.

There is not a single quote from Chaplain Rachel herself to illuminate this rather murky situation. Instead, President Ohle briefly sums up her distinguished career for the reader and concludes by saying, “We wish her well in her discernment and continued call to her ministry.”

Now what does that mean?

Well, as defined by Collins Dictionary, discernment means “keen perception or judgment,” but I couldn’t begin to tell you what a “continued call” to ministry means. At least not from this email. There is no mention of Chaplain Rachel’s future plans. So, should I assume she left her position at Gustavus without any plans for the future? For some reason unable to fulfill her “continued call” here?

Chaplain Rachel has been a pillar of Gustavus for 12 years and frequently presided over chapel services. Gustavus Marketing and Communications

Thus, it has been stated that Chaplain Rachel had a good reason to depart, yet it is not one that can be shared. In fact, no one I have spoken to has been able to shed any light on this situation. So, again, I must turn to the singular piece of correspondence that we received over summer vacation and try to piece the situation together myself.

To return to the opening sentence of this article, I would like to examine the final sentence of the email: “Her resignation is effective immediately.” Strangely enough, this blunt statement is preceded by a sentence stating that Larson received the esteemed Eric Norelius Award in 2011 as an “outstanding administrative employee.” Now why would such an “outstanding” member of our community who has formed so many significant relationships across campus and influenced so deeply our faith community, merely walk away over the summer — without goodbyes, without comment, and without warning?

If I haven’t convinced you there is more to the story, then let me speak to the personal experience that drew me to these suspicions. Upon graduation from my high school, I was hopeful that my undergrad would take me far from the dirty politics and practices I witnessed there, yet I am disappointed to say that I have been appalled to find this cloak-and-dagger approach to personnel issues employed at Gustavus as well.

In high school, I encountered the same calculated ambiguity, quiet deception, and disturbing silence before the abrupt departure of a dearly loved English instructor. The same questions my community had then, similarly remain unanswered in this case. After 19 years of quality teaching performance and high rapport with his students, neither my English instructor, nor anyone else, could speak to the reasons behind his termination — and no, in his case, he did not gracefully resign.

I encourage you to ponder over the possible implications of Larson’s resignation — effective immediately. I also encourage you to reread the email for yourself, or if it’s too much trouble to find, it is identically reproduced on the Gustavus page in the announcement of her resignation.

In order to properly recognize Rachel for her service to Gustavus in a way far more befitting than that of a 190-word email, there will be a celebration for Rachel on Oct. 11 from 5-8 p.m. at First Lutheran Church in St. Peter. If you would like more information on participating or contributing, please contact Kari Lipke ‘98 at klipke3@gmail.com.