Some assembly required

Finding common ground: not much to complain about

The problem is that complaining is easy.  It takes almost no effort at all to whine—and I think most of us will admit that it’s quite an enjoyable pastime.

Let me demonstrate: I hate Mondays. (Don’t you?) There’s never an empty washer when it’s time to do laundry.  I’m craving fried rice but the Caf doesn’t serve hot food on a night owl schedule. I have way too much homework. That joke about the “gusty” wind?  I get it now, but when it’s cold and 7:45 a.m. and I need to get to class, funny is not how I would describe it.

As fascinating as our problems are, they might not be the best thing to focus on.  Complaining distracts from productive action—both in our personal lives and in politics.  Imagine if the funds used to make scores of political attack ads were instead used to actually address our country’s problems.

What if the candidates made statements explaining what they will do to help the United States instead of warning about how their opponent will bring it into ruin?  What if the Democrats and the Republicans spent less time trying to vilify each other and spent more time trying to work together and compromise?

Sure, go vote for your choice of candidate, your choice of party.  But try to remember that regardless of which bubble you fill in on the ballot, as citizens under the same nation, we are united in a common desire to do what we think is best for our country.

Our existence on campus as Gusties is no different.

Consider the Gustie Rouser.  As fall sports wrap up, it’s coming back in style as athletic teams anticipate upcoming competitions and celebrate recent victories.

On some days, when the Rouser echoes throughout the Caf for what seems like the millionth time, it may seem tempting to groan and mumble, “again?  I’m trying to eat!”

But it’s important not to lose sight of the Rouser’s significance and value.  It reminds us of simpler times, in those first weeks of school, when Greeters valiantly summoned the remaining shreds of their vocal chords to respond to the ever-insistent slow-clap of the Caf.  It brings us to common ground and anchors us all to this windy hilltop we call home.

The Rouser is the perfect example of how complaining without thinking can distract us from what’s most important.  Us Gusties are a diverse bunch, hailing from different states and countries, and representing various races, sexual orientations, belief systems and political views.  We can’t afford to complain about the things that hold us together—we need to celebrate our common ground.

That wind may be frigid, but it’s our wind.  Embrace it.

2 thoughts on “Some assembly required