Some assembly required:

Campus: the last frontier

This just in: no longer must Gusties resign themselves to power-napping or staking out the Caf in between classes—I would like to suggest a radical new way to productively waste time on campus.

What am I talking about? Exploring!

No, I don’t mean machete-hacking your way through the man-eating jungle plants growing in front of Chapel. This doesn’t require any special equipment or expertise—just grab some Gustie Ware for your Caf munchies and simply go someplace you haven’t been.

It’s easy to get caught up in our schedules and limit ourselves to a routine of dorm-caf-class-caf-class-caf-dorm, but campus is a big place and full of interesting things waiting to be found by anyone willing to look. Take, for example, an outdoor chalk-board, the physics library (hint: it’s not in the regular library), that forever-wandering orange cat, a feng shui meditation garden, or a 55 degree fahrenheit “hot” tub.

For more ambitious explorers there are other, more elusive locations, such as my secret study spot or the infamous tunnels (which may or may not be completely unrelated). Perhaps some of us should stick to basics first, however. Especially you, my fellow Co-ed residents, who still haven’t found the second laundry room.

For more goal-oriented explorers, I recommend finding all 42 Granlund Sculptures (hint: Chapel doors count) or all 5 campus organs. Additionally, you could take on the impossible challenge of finding and sitting in each and every one of the Adirondack chairs. Four years just might not be enough. Or if you’re especially enjoying this week’s issue of the Gustavian Weekly, see if you can find our office. It’s located at the safest (hint) spot on campus.

But why—you might ask—why should I wander outside my campus comfort zone looking lost and confused? Well, if you’re a first-year, you probably won’t look any different than usual, and if you’re not, just put your lanyard around your neck, and no one will question you.

But really, what can you possibly gain from deviating from your well-rutted campus trails?

Most importantly, Co-ed first-years, a shorter line for laundry. Also, a greater appreciation for your fellow Gusties and their academic endeavors. Nothing humbles a person faster than trying to understand those science experiment posters plastered all over Nobel. Additionally, anyone trying to quest out a major would benefit from reading all of the senior bios and propaganda brochures posted on department bulletin boards. You’ll be quadruple-majoring in no time!

And if none of those reasons are enough to entice you, may I present: comics. Wandering the halls, you will begin to notice that professors can be found by following a trail of clipped cartoon “funnies.” Taped near a sizeable percentage of office doors, they provide boundless entertainment as you wander from department to department.

So, fellow Gusties, it’s time. Time to pry yourselves away from the warm glow of the Caf and the low hum of the tray carousel. Take a walk in the Arb. Wander through that building you never had class in. Think of it as an expansion of your liberal arts education—you never know when you might find something worthwhile, so you’ve just got to keep on looking.

4 thoughts on “Some assembly required:

1. Very nice Rachel. we enjoyed reading your article it
    was very well put together.
    Congradulations on the first article.please post every
    one you write so grandpa and I can read them.

Ruby & Grandpa

2. Aw Rachel! What personality and voice your article shows. I am so glad your mom forwarded this to me. You make me want to stop by Gustyland and count Granlund, but first I need to google the word so I know what I am looking for. Glad to hear your college experience is off to a good start.

3. Rachel,I’m so glad your mom mail me your article.
    Congratulations,I’m so proud of you.
    Take care.

Love Mona