Re: Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week

I found the article on this issue raises some valuable points that I believe are reflective of the majority of the student body. However, as a participant, I found many assumptions in this article to be stereotypical and uninformed.

First, the class had never set out with the goal of “truly experiencing homelessness. ”We knew it would be nothing near the actual experience of being homeless; however, for the people participating in this event, everybody agreed that it was truly eye opening just to experience a little of what actual homeless people must go through.

Next, a comment was made on how we are able to sleep in the Chapel and can sneak downstairs in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and that those who are homeless do not have this luxury. However, as a report on homelessness from PBS points out, around 58 percent of homeless people are living in transitional housing and staying in shelters.

Finally, it was mentioned that “this is absolutely an example of privileged white people thinking they can understand what it is like to be part of the downtrodden and powerless classes of society.” While I admit this does apply to me, however, it most certainly is not true.

Although I do not know about the specific backgrounds of my classmates and professor, it was clear as day that not everyone in the class was white or super privileged in terms of socioeconomic status. For example, in past classes, our professor had even mentioned to us that a homeless girl, who had been accepted into Gustavus, had participated in the class. It was for these reasons that I found this article to be very misleading for many people.

Mark Nissen, ‘14