Gustavus alumni fare well in state elections

Gustavus students all remember the elections of November 2 and how important it was to vote. Many students were anticipating election results late into Tuesday night. Facebook even had an application to count voters. Five Gustavus alumni and one current professor capitalized on the elections. The outcomes affected the Gustavus community greatly with the alumni showing leadership in the State House.

In the elections, four Gustavus alumni were reelected to the State Legislature, and one was newly seated. These Gusties are taking leadership roles and getting involved with a high passion for change and making their communities stronger and more effective.

Mindy Greiling ’70 graduated with a degree in education and was a highly involved in the League of Women Voters and was very passionate about equality on campus.

“I learned to work with and lead organizations and organize efforts at Gustavus. I joined the League of Women Voters while I was home with my children, which rekindled my interests in organizing and added a focus on issues,” Greiling said. This really inspired Greiling to get involved in politics and make a change in the community. In addition, she served on the school board for two terms and was recruited to run for House.

Greiling was reelected to her tenth term in the Minnesota House of Representatives in District 54A. The biggest challenges Greiling will face will be the partisan nature of today’s politics. “At Gustavus and in the League of Women Voters we were all on the same team while tackling the issues,” Greiling said.

Greiling encourages students to get involved in their communities and make the best of their experiences at Gustavus. “I always advise getting deeply involved in your community and working on campaigns of people you admire. Relationships are of [the]  utmost importance in politics,” Greiling said.

“I loved my days at Gustavus and the many opportunities to volunteer and provide service. I have continued taking advantage of these types of opportunities all my life, including as a legislator,” Greiling sid.

David Hann ’73 graduated with a degree in religion. Hann was reelected to his third term in the Minnesota Senate representing District 42. Previously, Hann was elected three times to the Eden Prairie school board. His main concern is the education system. Hann hopes to foster better education and implement more effective management.

Paul Torkelson ’74 graduated with a bachelor’s degree in education. Torkelson was reelected for a second term in the House in district 21B. In the State House, Torkelson’s priorities are economic. He hopes to create more jobs, slow spending and secure funding for rural programs, among other goals.

Kory Kath ’00 was reelected to the State House and represents district 26A. Kath graduated with a bachelor’s degree in political science and education. He is focused on adequately funding education, supporting small business and completing Highway 14.

Ted Lillie’79 graduated with a bachelor’s degree in management. Lillie was newly elected to the State House this year and holds district 56. Lillie’s focus is on jobs through tax cuts and the promotion of Minnesotans’ strengths.

Professor of Communication Studies Terry Morrow was reelected to the State House for his third term in District 23A. Morrow has been a professor for 15 years at Gustavus and has a daughter currently attending. “Teaching here has been very influential, I see how committed to help[ing] communities Gustavus students are. That inspires me to serve,” Morrow said.

Like many of the other Gustie elects, Morrow started in the school system. “I served on St. Peter’s school board because I was very concerned about K-12 education. The State House had a seat open, so I decided to fill out a form,” Morrow said.

“Funding for schools seems to be in constant jeopardy. A main goal was to enhance early childhood education. I ran for the State House because I believed the lessons I learned in local groups and on the school board would help me work on statewide issues,” Morrow said.

“Gusties [who are] thinking of politics should strongly consider an internship with an official Senator or on a campaign. Politics requires some real-life study and involvement, getting to meet people, learning about issues and understanding how the policies are created and campaigns are run,” Morrow said.  Morrow believes the best way to get this experience is through internships.

Even though Morrow is not a Gustavus grad, he is still very much influenced by the community, which helped shape him into someone who he is proud of.

“Gustavus is dedicated to helping others. We see it here everyday; the Gustavus community has been wonderfully supportive and helpful. It is rare to find this sort of campus,” Morrow said.

3 thoughts on “Gustavus alumni fare well in state elections

1. I am wondering why this article leaves out political affiliation and where these elected officials fall in on the scale of being conservative to liberal.

1. Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comment. I looked up each of the alum’s political affiliations on the Minnesota House of Representatives Members-Elect Roster. Affiliations are as follows:

Mindy Greiling – DFL
      David Haan – Republican
      Kory Kath – DFL
      Ted Lillie – Republican
      Paul Torkelson – Republican
      Terry Morrow – DFL

It should also be noted that Ted Lillie and David Haan are a part of the Minnesota State Senate, not the House of Representatives as was originally suggested in the image captions.

Tom Lany
      Web Editor, The Gustavian Weekly

2. It looks like the three republicans that managed to make it through Gustavus alive went on to be involved in politics. Time to amp up the admissions efforts to filter them out and the freshman orienatation activities to weed them out