Hannah Wunsch: Ending on a high note

<em>Photo by: Alex Messenger</em>
Photo by: Alex Messenger

The next time you are in the basement of the Folke Bernadotte Memorial Library, check out the computer by the first printer to your left. This is the favorite study spot of Senior History and Music Honors Major Hannah Wunsch. “I think I’ve written nearly every academic paper for the last four years at that computer,” the Omaha, NE native said. “And when you’re a history major, that’s a lot of freakin’ papers.”

Indeed it is. But history is just one of Hannah’s subjects, and her primary passion lies in choral music. She is the Soprano Section Leader for the Gustavus Choir, a charter member of the Gustavus Cantorum chamber group and went abroad for the spring of 2008 to study the history of opera and performance practices in Milan.

This Sunday she will be performing her Senior Voice Recital in Bjorling Recital Hall. It is the culmination of four years of vocal instruction from Adjunct Assistant Professor Rebecca McConnaughey.

“Hannah is special,” said McConnaughey. “She has that rare combination of qualities: a fine intellect, superb talent, the courage to stretch herself, and a passion for making music.”

The recital will feature guest artists Junior Alison Utke and Seniors Riley Karbon, Mark Wamma and Sara Bentley. Aside from being Hannah’s last Gustavus musical performance, it is also the last music recital of the spring. “It was supposed to be in April, but I got pneumonia,” she said.

It is no wonder, given the amount of activities Hannah involves herself in. On top of her music involvement, she is also a Gustie Greeter, a Curriculum II Academic Assistant, a Sauna Society member and will be making her Anderson Theatre debut next Wednesday in a student-directed ten minute play.

Sound overwhelming? Not nearly as much as the previous three years. Hannah has, over the course of her time at Gustavus, been the managing editor for THE GUSTAVIAN WEEKLY, served as an overnight hostess for admissions, academic assistant for the Department of History and even played intramural softball. As if this were not enough, she also wishes she had tried out for the main stage theatrical productions at Gustavus. “I acted in high school, but here I was way too intimidated,” she said.

But Hannah also acknowledged that her tendency to be over-involved was one of her biggest challenges to overcome at college. “It’s better when you can give 110 percent to a few activities you are extremely passionate about, rather than spread yourself too thin and have no time for anything,” said Hannah.

When she’s not staying busy, Hannah enjoys daydreaming over celebrity crushes Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, snacking on PJ’s Pizza cheesy bread, watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and procrastinating while on fmylife.com. Hannah admits, with a mixture of shame and pride, that she has viewed all 8,000 pages of the website. “It’s sad and embarrassing, but I love it,” Hannah said.

Being embarrassed is nothing new to this young lady. She recalls an incident during her first First-year Orientation as a Gustie Greeter: “It was the first day, and my Greeter Group was still a little uncomfortable around each other. We were all in the [Market Place,] and someone started the rouser. I stood up on my chair to clap along, and the chair slipped out and I fell over in front of the entire [Market Place]. My group bonded pretty fast after that.”

While not toppling from stationary furniture, Hannah has been an inspiration to her fellow students. “Hannah is such a wonderful person!” said Sophomore Communication Studies Major Bergit Nerheim. “She has a big heart and a contagious smile.  She was my Gustie Greeter and I couldn’t have asked for a better welcome to Gustavus.”

Senior Communication Studies Kendra Mays said, “Hannah’s so dedicated to everything she does and is always looking out for her friends and those that she loves. “

Hannah has few regrets for her time at college. She has avidly been checking off activities on her “100 Things To Do at Gustavus List,” and claims it is down to five or so items. She urges Gusties to get involved and try something new, even if just to dabble. She also recommends studying abroad and getting out of one’s comfort zone. “Studying abroad made me more confident, more independent and a bigger risk-taker. I’m not scared about next year, because being in a foreign country taught me to trust myself.”

Next year Hannah will put this self-reliance to the test as she moves out west to Boulder, CO. There she will be enrolling at the University of Colorado and studying for her Master’s Degree in Choral Conducting with an emphasis on Vocal Performance. So next year, if you find yourself at the computer by the first printer to your left in the basement of the Folke Bernadette Memorial Library, understand that a very talented and gifted Gustie once shared your seat.

One thought on “Hannah Wunsch: Ending on a high note

1. Go Hannah! Thanks for all your contributions to Curriculum II. All the best in Graduate School.