Looking on life’s bright side

Sophomore Kayla Nelson involves herself in the Proclaim band and Sigma Sigma Sigma. “Even though she’s gone through a lot, she’s more concerned with others than herself, “ said Kayla’s older sister, Junior Psychology Major Katie Nelson.

Meet Your Fellow Gustie: Kayla Nelson

Sophomore Religion Major Kayla Nelson is a walking “Book Mark.” Owning almost every sweatshirt that the Book Mark sells, it is unusual to see Kayla walking without a smile or her Gustie apparel.

“She smiles a lot. [That’s something] people obviously see,” said Kayla’s older sister Katie Nelson, a junior psychology major. “[Kayla] was actually the cause of me coming to Gustavus,” said Katie. “She picked Gustavus long before I did.”

“We do everything together. We’re really close,” said Kayla of the relationship she has with her sister.

“She’s always been the leader of the pack,” said Katie. “Even though she is the youngest, I’ve always followed her.”

Kayla is well-known by friends, family and professors as someone with a lot of faith. “It’s clear that she has faith,” said Professor of Religion Darrell Jodock. “She is always thinking about the relationship of her faith and what is being discussed in class.”

Kayla further expresses her relationship with God by leading worship at Proclaim on Tuesday nights. “I love connecting with God in new ways and in new environments,” she said. “I love playing guitar and I love to sing. [When we worship at Proclaim] we come together to create something for Gustavus to worship, which is amazing.”

First-year Sean Prichard works closely with Kayla on the Proclaim worship team. “It is an adventure,” said Prichard. “[Kayla] is always cheery even if she has had the worst week ever. She takes what I do and makes it work. We work as a good team that way.”

“[At Proclaim], I love that no week is exactly the same,” said Kayla. “Some nights are really pumped up and others are really somber. I love the connection it brings with so many walks of life. For us to come together one night a week is awesome.”

Last summer, Kayla spent time as a counselor at the Shores of St. Andrew Bible Camp in Spicer, MN. “I’ve gone to camp my whole life,” said Kayla. “I always dreamed about being a counselor.”

Kayla has strongly considered following in the footsteps of her father and grandparents by becoming a pastor. “When I was little, I told my grandma I was going to be a pastor,” said Kayla. “I even used to play pastor. I’d set up stuff[ed] animals and get out my hymnal and direct the choir.”

This summer, Kayla will attend the “Life Matters” conference in Seattle. “One of the things that people will be thinking about is if ordained ministry is something they wish to be called into their lives,” said Jodock, who wrote a recommendation letter for Kayla’s application. “It’s a really great opportunity to spend that time figuring out what to do with one’s life and connect that with their faith.”

Kayla will attend the conference with about fifteen people. “I hope to learn ways [in which I can] help other people, to share the way I have been called and hopefully help someone else out in the process,” said Kayla. “God calls us to do many things in this world. It’s not just about the job we have. We can be called to the ministry through being something else. [However], I feel the most connected when I’m in a church atmosphere. That’s when I feel like I want to go into church ministry.”

Kayla is lactose intolerant and has Celiac Disease, and she also suffers from fibromyalgia, a chronic muscle pain disorder. “Life has thrown her a lot of challenges,” said Katie. “But she’s an optimist. She always sees the glass half full. Even though she’s gone through a lot, she’s more concerned with others than herself.”

“The whole process of being diagnosed [with fibromyalgia] has been a struggle,” said Kayla. “But I’ve always noticed that if I let myself get down, then life is not happy at all. Among the sufferings we have, there are blessings. Little things help me reflect what God is trying to tell or show me.”

Kayla also mentioned her thankfulness for such a strong and empathetic community at Gustavus. “It’s not just our faith alone, but the Christian community that we have. I totally know that I am not strong on my own. God powers me, but the people around me energize me as well.”

Despite her dietary limitations, Kayla has been able to grow accustomed to a variety of favorite foods. “I love granola,” said Kayla. “My mom [makes] homemade granola. Once I figured [the recipe] out, I mixed it with peanut butter and banana. It is amazing. I’m [also] really addicted to dark chocolate and Diet Coke.”

In addition to her countless activities, Kayla is also involved as a chapel apprentice and is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority. “Creating that bond in friendship with other girls on campus is really amazing,” said Kayla. “Once I met them, I felt like we were really connected.”

As she looks forward to her final two years at Gustavus, Kayla is proud to be part of such a great community. “I love the atmosphere of Gustavus,” she said. “People talk about the friendliness here. I totally think it’s true. It’s hard to formulate in words. It’s just the feeling I had when I first stepped on campus.”

Photo by: Alex Messenger

Sam Grace