“Not so proud to be an American?”

Senator Barack Obama’s pastor, Reverend Dr. Jeremiah Wright, delivered some politically-charged statements, putting Obama in a tough spot.

Much to the thrill of Hillary Clinton, it seems that Barack Obama has finally shown a serious weakness. The junior U.S. Senator from Illinois has passed through his time in the national spotlight (including the current Democratic Party primary process) mostly unscathed. But the first major threat to his likeability has come in the form of his unpatriotic and hate-filled pastor, the Reverend Doctor Jeremiah Wright of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, Illinois.

Senator Obama has said that he was not present for any of the Reverend’s most offensive sermons, but I find it difficult to believe that after 20 years of attending a church, you are not aware of your pastor’s beliefs.

When you watch Reverend Wright’s sermons, you will notice rousing cheers when he uses phrases like “Not God bless America, but God damn America” and “The U.S. of KKK A.” He has also blamed our government for the bombing of Pearl Harbor and preaches about how America deserved the attacks on 9/11.

The video clips of these sermons show that the congregation is accustomed to this type of rhetoric and actually encourages these unpatriotic outbursts. These were not rare misinterpreted statements, but rather routine hate speech from the pastor, advisor and friend of the man that could be our next president.

Barack Obama gave a speech a couple weeks ago about race in America. He spoke eloquently, but once again gave little substance, assuming that Americans are too dumb to know when they are being talked down to. This patronizing speech gave no new insight into race relations in America, and it attempted to distract Americans from the real issue.

The controversy over Reverend Wright was not that he was black, but rather that he sees America as the world’s problem instead of as an answer. It was the anti-American sentiments that were most disturbing, and I would have been just as offended if those same words were uttered by the Reverend Billy Graham or any other white pastor.

This controversy seems to be part of a disturbingly unpatriotic pattern from Barack Obama and his campaign. The first event was the controversy involving Barack Obama no longer wearing an American flag lapel pin on his suit coat. This was a non-controversy at the time because I thought to myself, “Do I know anyone that ever wears an American flag lapel pin?” But in light of recent events, perhaps abandoning this patriotic symbol was intended to give a stronger message.

The next faux pas was when Barack’s wife, Michelle, said, “For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country,” in response to the movement uniting around her husband’s campaign. Does she mean that, being 44, she hasn’t been proud of America during the last 26 years? Weren’t you proud of the firefighters and policemen who risked their lives on 9/11 to save thousands of people from the World Trade Center? Weren’t you proud when America helped tear down the Berlin Wall, bringing freedom and democracy to millions, and ending the Cold War once and for all without ever needing to fire one missile? Aren’t you proud of the millions of Americans who have flocked to Louisiana and Mississippi to help out those affected by Hurricane Katrina? Call me naïve, but I am still proud to be an American and believe that despite our flaws, we still are a nation that has always strived to make the world a better place.

Becoming aware of the comments and beliefs of Barack Obama’s pastor is now the most recent piece of this unpatriotic puzzle. In a free country you have the right to hate America if you want to, but I think a lot of people would be uncomfortable voting for a president who had that viewpoint. Barack Obama is a never-ending fountain of platitudes about uniting the country, but I think people should pay closer attention to what they are being asked to unite around.

Photo courtesy of: MCT Campus

Andrew Evenson

3 thoughts on ““Not so proud to be an American?”

1. I can’t believe that I actually read something negative about a liberal at Gustavus! There is hope for some of you yet! Now if you could start being little more Lutheran in theology, my prayers would be answered.

2. Dear Dan,

According to letter’s this week, your Lutheran theology is being recognized, no? My friends decided to attend Gustavus because its Lutheran traditions and theology. Within weeks, the called that image fake.

3. Denominations will argue about which traditions are more important than others and to what extent they matter. To do this is to miss the point. A Christian is simply a follower of Christ. One’s true beliefs can be tested by the extent by which they do. This begs a question: What would you do differently if you truly believed that what you believe is really, really true?

Political parties will argue, both saying God is on their side. Let’s not put the cart before the horse. Not to ignore, however, the importance that one’s beliefs have on their political views, people are entitled to their opinions. Morality is a huge issue in whether or not a candidate can be trusted. Trust SHOULD be a major issue to every voter.

What truly is frustrating is the willingness of candidates to say or do anything to get your vote. Don’t be deceived. Don’t believe everything you see on the news, even what makes the news is selected carefully by individuals with their own agendas.

Don’t believe everything your professors say for that matter. Don’t give them power over you by believing the lie that they know better or know more than you do just because of a title, but be humble. I challenge every one of you to ask questions and seek the Truth. It is a challenge to me everyday.